Aug 8, 2008

The Cake That Makes The World Go Round

Almost a week later, sorry friends. I've over-committed myself with a few digi contests as well as taking care of what seems to be a never ending trail of mouth surgeries! Alex is healing nicely, these are pictures from this past week, what a difference a week makes! Cody had his wisdom tooth removed Tuesday--that was a ton of fun.
Alex and John last Sunday --you can hardly see a thing!
Louie!

John had to grill his own birthday meal, lol.Here's the cake recipe:

preheat oven to 350 and prepare 3 round cake pans.

Mix:

  • 2 c sugar
  • 1 stick butter (I use margarine)
  • 1/2 c oil
  • 5 egg yolks (keep those whites! don't do what I did the first time and throw them out)

Mix and add to first mixture:

  • 2 c flour
  • 1 tsp baking soda
  • 1 c buttermilk (I never have this, I do the old TBS of lemon juice to the cup of milk, it works)
  • 2 tsp vanilla

Mix and add to all the above:

  • 5 egg whites, stiff (be sure your beaters are clean, don't do what I sometimes do and not clean them, you'll only have to restart)
  • 2 c coconut
  • 1 c nuts (I always use pecans)

Bake in 3 9" cake rounds for about 25 minutes--you'll know.

When I frost this cake, I always add between the layers extra nuts and extra coconut, then I top it with the same.

Frosting:

  • 1- 8-oz cream cheese (lowfat works well)
  • 1/2 c butter (again, margarine for me)
  • 3 1/2 c powdered sugar
  • vanilla--that's what it said--I use about a tsp or 2, it's whatever

If you bake this cake and put it in the fridge, it's one of those even better the next day kind of cakes. Or as my girlfriend Pam said 'I wanted to just sleep in it!'. It's that good.

I might be reemed for this but I really wanted to share this...I won't make you watch the first movie, it's pretty lengthy (but stinkin hilarious)...but the second one is funny too. It's Cody after surgery. He'd been telling me over and over how much fun it was...then he was trying to explain e=mc2 to me. And I, being a good mom, tried to trip him up, but even in a stupor he can out-think me. And all good moms of course record the conversation. For later. Because it's funny!

12 Comments:

Kim said...

Yes, you'll be reemed! But you know what...that was the best laugh I've had all day!

Thank you. :)

Happy Elf Mom (Christine) said...

ALEX LOOKS GREAT!!

Yeah!

How's it going with Niki? How's homeschooling going? (hugs)

artisticdiva said...

You have an evil streak, Stacey. This is hilarious! When Jake had surgery when he was about 9, he was sitting on the side of the bed, entertaining the old people in the surgery prep center, singing his abc's forward and backward and giggling and laughing and singing. He was stoned out of his mind.

Yeah, and Cody just might "ream" you for this one. Watch out for any hidden cameras in the house. Better check his facebook page periodically to make sure you're not the next victim!

D... said...

Oh, Alex does look great! Whew! John cooked himself a meal that looks so scrumptious!

I love "after surgery" conversations. They are so much fun.

Saving your cake recipe. Maybe this year my son's cake will look as delicious as it tastes.

Jim and Jami said...

Stacey, so basically you made an Italian Cream Cake…..a store here in town sells that for $75.00.....I am glad Alex is feeling better.....PS

Jillie Bean (AKA Bubba's Sis) said...

Oh that's too funny! Bless his heart! I hope he still thinks it was so much fun! Did he get his ice cream??

Yay for Alex's healing, too!

Mom Knows Everything said...

That was such a hoot! I'm glad he's feeling better, but man did I ever love that video!!!

Anonymous said...

ROFL! Yup, he's really going to thank you for that one day!

Anonymous said...

Happy Belated Birthday to John. That cake sounds yummy.

Alex looks great. I can't believe it is the same child.

Too funny about Cody. I laughed out loud.

How are you Miss. Stacey?

Anonymous said...

LOL

Ok, the cake sounds yummy.

But that vid of cody? Too fuuuuuunnnyyyyyy :)

Sandi McBride said...

Stacey there is something decidedly wicked about you...can't quite put my finger on it...no no..there it is...
hugs
Sandi

Aaron said...

Yum! Can't wait to try the cake! Thanks for sharing!