John had to grill his own birthday meal, lol.Here's the cake recipe:
preheat oven to 350 and prepare 3 round cake pans.
- 2 c sugar
- 1 stick butter (I use margarine)
- 1/2 c oil
- 5 egg yolks (keep those whites! don't do what I did the first time and throw them out)
Mix and add to first mixture:
- 2 c flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 c buttermilk (I never have this, I do the old TBS of lemon juice to the cup of milk, it works)
- 2 tsp vanilla
Mix and add to all the above:
- 5 egg whites, stiff (be sure your beaters are clean, don't do what I sometimes do and not clean them, you'll only have to restart)
- 2 c coconut
- 1 c nuts (I always use pecans)
Bake in 3 9" cake rounds for about 25 minutes--you'll know.
When I frost this cake, I always add between the layers extra nuts and extra coconut, then I top it with the same.
- 1- 8-oz cream cheese (lowfat works well)
- 1/2 c butter (again, margarine for me)
- 3 1/2 c powdered sugar
- vanilla--that's what it said--I use about a tsp or 2, it's whatever
If you bake this cake and put it in the fridge, it's one of those even better the next day kind of cakes. Or as my girlfriend Pam said 'I wanted to just sleep in it!'. It's that good.
I might be reemed for this but I really wanted to share this...I won't make you watch the first movie, it's pretty lengthy (but stinkin hilarious)...but the second one is funny too. It's Cody after surgery. He'd been telling me over and over how much fun it was...then he was trying to explain e=mc2 to me. And I, being a good mom, tried to trip him up, but even in a stupor he can out-think me. And all good moms of course record the conversation. For later. Because it's funny!