Jul 17, 2008

Alex's trip to the ER

I'm working on the fly here, so I hope this makes sense....Alex was hurt in an accident Tuesday night. Alex, Niki and I were going for our nightly walk, John didn't get home in time to go. Alex usually takes his scooter with him and rides along for fun. This Tuesday, though, we didn't get far. Alex was coming back down our hill with his scooter and being Alex, was laughing and zig zagging across the road when he lost control. It all happened so fast, but at the same time, slow motion. He went down hard.
I ran to the top of the hill and turned him over and there was blood everywhere...pouring, not just streaming, off his face and I could see just enough under the streetlight to know his mouth was badly damaged. I picked him up and ran back to the car, yelling instructions to Niki, who had poor Louie on a leash. She finally gave up trying to drag him in and let go of his leash to run in and call Cody down, grab a beach towel and get back to the garage, where I was putting Alex in. She was able to pull and drag poor Louie into the house (he doesn't move very quickly and he really didn't like that his walk was up so soon).
So.....long story short, one long ER visit, one transfer to Children's Mercy downtown, another long ER visit and oral surgery. Alex was AMAZING through it all, such a brave little guy. He didn't break anything other than his tooth--one permanant tooth is missing and the two front ones were forced back into place and are held in by metal bars which are sutured into his mouth. If it sounds painful to us, can you imagine how he feels? We emerged from Mercy at 6am and Alex slept for the long ride back home...thankfully.
He's finally stopped throwing up, I think that part might be behind him. His swelling is going down and just before I snuck away to update, he had eaten some Jell-O and is watching a movie. We have an appointment with our dentist on Tuesday to discuss whether or not he will need root canals on the two front teeth, something that will have to be done within two weeks of his surgery. I'd appreciate it if you would pray he does not--he's been though enough. Niki and Cody (Niki is home) have been absolutely amazing with him, he's so lucky to have a brother and sister who adore him like they do. I have a photo of Cody napping with Alex this morning, I'll upload it soon, hopefully tomorrow....but for now, I need to get back out to the living room. The pictures below are somewhat graphic, they're from early yesterday morning.
He still has a sense of humor, I love this boy!

Posted by Picasa

26 Comments:

Jillie Bean (AKA Bubba's Sis) said...

OMG!!!!! Poor Baby Alex!! This almost exact same thing happened to Navy Son when he was about this age, except he was just running in the street and got his feet tangled up with someone else's and face-planted into the concrete. He broke off his two front teeth (permanent ones, of course) and broke his arm!!! And the road rash - oh the road rash! He did have to have the root canals, but he also did break them completely off. He has lovely false ones now, and you'd never know it! Well, they don't come out, so I guess they are implants. Whatever.

I ramble. Poor Alex! Take good care of him, Mama, and give him a big ol' Texas hug from me!!!!!

Katie said...

Oh Stacey, the poor kid! Stuff him full of popsicles and ice cream to help numb the mouth pain. Ouch. Ouch. Ouch.

Shana W. said...

OMGOODNESS!!!! I hurt for him!! Bless his little heart. I am glad to see that he is still able to have a sense of humor. I will be praying for him.
And I was happy to read that Niki is home. YAY!!!

Happy Elf Mom (Christine) said...

OH NO!! That poor fella! Oh, Stacey, I'm so sorry to read this!! And here you sneak in that Niki is home in the middle! I'm on a roller coaster here LOL!!

Childrens' Mercy is awesome. They are so good with those kids it's just amazing.

Anonymous said...

Stacey,
I am so sorry to hear about Alex's fall. It sounds like an awful lot to go through. Even with his injuries, he is still such a beautiful child. You can see his good spirit coming off the screen. I will pray that he heals quickly and does not need further work done. I am saying extra prayers for you too. Take care of yourself and your beautiful baby boy. I am so glad his siblings are with him. That will speed up the healing too.

XOXOXO

D... said...

Oh Alex! Oh Stacey! Bless your family's heart. Thank God Alex is ok and will be ok. Thank God Niki was with you to help deal with Louie. Thank God Cody was home to help you out as well. Just Thank God.

I can tell what a remarkable boy he is by his sense of humor. I know you'll take good care of him & I hope someone takes good care of you as well. Hugs & love to all of you!

Let us know how the dentist appt. goes!

Sharon Sews said...

Oh No! That poor little guy! Hugs and kisses from me as well as tons of prayers. xoxo

Anonymous said...

OMG! That hurts!

Sorry to hear that. I think Alex learned the hard lesson. He will be a stronger man from now on.

We all fall in our live once or twice, but we stand still and move on. I can see from his eyes. He is trying to say "Nuh! No big deal!"

Take a good care of him!

Anonymous said...

I knew I shouldn't have looked at the photos. Now my stomach is all queasy.

I sure hope he heals quickly! Poor thing! He sure seems like a trooper, though!

Anonymous said...

OMG! Boy, you guys just never have a boring walk, do you?! He takes after his mama, apparently!

I hope he heals quickly - I hope you do too! I know those images will be in your head a long time!

Angela Williams Duea said...

How awful - but you can see he kept his spirit! Glad he's going to be OK - and that you have good health insurance

Angela Williams Duea said...

How awful - but you can see he kept his spirit! Glad he's going to be OK - and that you have good health insurance

Anonymous said...

Poor kiddo! What does he think about getting back on his scooter again?

Queen of Arbitrary Randomness said...

Tell him his Aunt Bea is praying for him. Bless his heart! Stinkin' scooter!!!
Give him a (gentle) hug for me!
I'm praying for miracles with the teeth! By HIs stripes we are healed!

Love ya!

Mom Knows Everything said...

Oh the poor little fella! I will definitely pray for a speedy recovery for him. Lots of love and hugs!

Jim and Jami said...

poor sweet baby.....give him a big, gentle, hug and kiss from me.....you guys are in my prayers...Love you guys.....your PS

Gayle @ thewestiecrew said...

OH STACEY!!

That poor fella! :(

I can't imagine how scared you must have been when you got to him.

Hopefully it will all heal soon.

Donna. W said...

I'm so sorry for your boy. He sure did bang himself up, didn't he?

I'm saying a prayer that he'll soon be back to normal.

Jenny86753oh9 said...

I'm calling you now...

StarSraps said...

I am glad to hear Alex is ok! I am also glad to hear Nikki is home! God is good! God is really really good!

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness! Poor guy! Wishing him a speedy recovery.

Kim said...

I leave for a few days from the blogging world and come back to find this! How amazing that he didn't hurt himself any more than he did. Poor guy. Give him some gentle hugs and kisses. Glad to hear that he's on the mend. I'll continue to keep him and everyone else in my prayers.

Anonymous said...

Oh, Stacey please give us an update! Poor Alex! I hope he is feeling much better and healing nicely!

Jane

Sandi McBride said...

Poor baby...my Michael was a daredevil at that age...I hate to break it to you, but he's 34 and STILL IS! Hope all goes well with him! I'd say I hope he learned a lesson, but you know, Michael and all....
hugs
Sandi

Aslan's field#$%lion said...

I'm so sorry to see that...
pity boy

Trinity said...

OUCH!! Stacey!! That's so bad!! Get well soon Alex!!