Jun 12, 2008

The Jerky Women Rule --Read At Risk Of Ruining Your Jerky Treat Love

Alrighty a few days later, if you read the other days' post, you've probably been sleepless wondering what in the world I have to show you! Here it is, my grandest purchase of the day, my baby, my new favorite find. I'm the owner of a fine avocado green West Bend electric percolator. I've wanted one for the longest time-I read on a blog somewhere coffee is better in a percolator, and I couldn't shake the thought until I found one! So when my friend Kelly (new blog up) came for a visit last week, we first hit our favorite thrift store (where I found goodies, but not this one). Making our way back home with the loot, we stopped into an estate sale where I saw it...my heart skipped a few, I went to the shelf it sat on, picked it up, held it over my head so I could see the price tag on the bottom, and knew when I saw $1 I'd found my percolator. It does make fantastic coffee! We took it home (along with my new giant mondo huge vintage electric stand mixer/grinder/ice crusher/blender) and made Kelly and myself coffee. Not any coffee, mind you, but DD coffee. Kelly, being the bff she is, brought down a dozen DD and a bag of coffee.
Here's my new bff, my avocado green percolator:

Yeah yeah I burned again, I know. Sunscreen. I almost never burn twice. But I was at the pool for three hours Tuesday, that'll probably do it. If only my friend Pam hadn't brought cold grapes...but she did. And now I'm certain my chest is going to look like a piece of jerky before the summer is out. I'll be a jerky woman.

There's a group of women who congregate and hoard one end of our neighborhood pool. They're exclusive, and have probably been there since the beginning of the neighborhood. They've got matching towels, matching towel clips (I want some but can't justify them) and imo, shouldn't be wearing the two pieces they wear. Think jerky glistening from an oil rubdown hanging over and out and sagging from behind.

It's likely the QT cups they tote along aren't filled with water or tea, but I can't be certain, so I refuse to infer anything otherwise. They buy the same type of raft, whichever is the newest 'style' is that year and when they overheat, they congregate in the deep end, holding the group together by grabbing each other's raft edges. They clog up the end of the pool and block entrance to the ladder. If you're lucky enough to get by the group, you'd be brave to attempt exit from that ladder--it's kind of like climbing a dipstick--you'll need suction cups to get a grip. They're the jerky women--their kids are grown, they have a lot of time on their hands and live some of the more gigantic homes in the neighborhood. I fear by the looks of me, I could be mistaken for a member of the jerky women. I'm off to buy some sunscreen today.

Random shot of the three cats--they hang out here most of the day. GiGi top, then Jack, then Scat (I think I'll call him Scat now).

I took this test I saw on another blog I don't read (a high cuss-o-meter rating--I think she hangs out with JenGi) and here's my cuss-o-meter result:

The Blog-O-Cuss Meter - Do you cuss a lot in your blog or website?



OnePlusYou Quizzes and Widgets

Sunday we take off for Memphis--it's finally time to get to the Baptist Convention and talk Miracle Word. I was at the church yesterday being brought up to speed and looks as if I've got some PowerPoint revisions to spend my day with today. I'd be extremely excited, except one of the activities we're signed up to do is garden. Gardening in the middle of summer in Memphis sounds fantastic, I'm not sure why I didn't think of this before!

12 Comments:

D... said...

Gardening in Memphis? In June? Yes, make sure you have that sunscreen! And maybe one of those little sprayer fans. It's going to be hot & humid, just so you know.

Congrats on your new bff! I hope ya'll will be very happy together. Much happier than you'd be with that pool hen party, for sure!

Have fun in Memphis. Let me know if you need any help with anything. Um, Memphis related. ;)

Mom Knows Everything said...

I want a percolator! I have a coffee maker, but I'm too lazy to use it so I just make instant coffee. :o(

Jillie Bean (AKA Bubba's Sis) said...

OK, I don't drink coffee, but I am JEALOUS of that avocado green percolator! I want one, too! When I was little we had an avaocado green refrigerator (and oven and stove, I believe). We were SO hip. Hipper than those Harvest Gold people, for sure.

Stay far away from those pool ladies, Stacey-Girl. They sound like trouble.

And HAVE FUN in Memphis! I pray that you will be spiritually lifted and come home rejuvinated (and not looking like jerky!)

Jillie Bean (AKA Bubba's Sis) said...

P.S. I'm afraid I would break the Cuss-O-Meter. Maybe not on my blog (altho I did have the "sh" word on it this week) but in real life I think I might bust it. I'm so ashamed. Dammit.

artisticdiva said...

Hey Stace,

I'm home. I just posted on my blog.

Love the percolator in the photo with you! Doesn't it sound lovely and it makes your house smell like coffee...mmm...good thing coffee fumes are toxic!

Anonymous said...

Ok, and how cool are you, Ms. Stacey, getting ready to be all OFFICIAL like at that conference. I hope you have a fantabulistic time!

Oh, and the perkylater? I want some coffee too!

Jenny86753oh9 said...

Cracking up on B/S's comment!!!

Now don't be telling people about my potty mouth...I mean, how bad can Crap a Brick be?! :P

You make sure that you bring that new BFF of yours to our big Cinderella concert, k? Tickets go on sale today! Gotta find out where from Aunt Bea.

I'm so excited for you on this Memphis thing...you know that. I just hope your back doesn't break while bunkin' at that church! You crazy Teenie-Bopper!

Happy Elf Mom (Christine) said...

.5% cussin'??

You need to clean up your act! LOL, where do they find these widgets anyway!??

Enjoy your avocado thing. It is pretty cute!

Anonymous said...

That percolator brings back so many good memories of sitting in my Great Aunt's kitchen, in her big Victorian house, listening to the sounds of coffee being made. I will never forget the smells and sounds, so comforting. I am glad you are only using D&D, I wouldn't expect anything else!

Hate, hate, hate the adult cliques you are decribing. Wish we could poof them away with our magic wand. Just an overall bad taste, reminds me of junior high. So glad you are not letting it stop your fun.

Have fun in Memphis. Should be special and re-energizing for you.

Keeping you in my thoughts and prayers.

Love you. ((((HUGS)))

Anonymous said...

Love the percolator! The color reminds me of my Grandma's kitchen. Not that you remind me of Grandma! LOL!

Cat said...

Hi Stacey - cool percolator!

Just letting you know I have moved.You can find me here: http://momentsofwhimsy.wordpress.com/

Cheers,
Cate

jennyonthespot said...

Oooh - percolator coffee is nummers! And even better if percolated in such green-ness!!!