Dec 11, 2007

Finally! I Was Feeling Like The Last Kid Picked At Recess!

Sharon sent me an email today letting me know she tagged me for this Christmas tag--she said something like you're the &%ittiest blogger I know, so I tagged you. It's fine. I can take it, I'm sure it was meant in a constructive way and I'll try harder. So Sharon, you mentioned little faith in my ability to complete this in a timely way too (Sharon, you mad at me or somethin? ;-) so here ya go!:

1) Wrapping paper or gift bags?
Do.Not.Care. It's what I get that counts, right?
2) Real tree or artificial?
After 40, I'm all about artificial parts trees!
3) When do you put up your tree?
Thanksgiving weekend--earlier if the stain just won't steam out!
4) When do you take the tree down?
I don't fight trees, it's mean and it's just too awkward on the pin.
5) Do you like eggnog?
Oh heck yes...beginning at 6 am all the way through New Years Eve (day)!
6) Favorite gift received as a child?
Velvet Doll, Green Apple Perfume & a radio like Sharon's (I'm a glutton)
7) Do you have a Nativity scene?
Of course!
8) The hardest person to buy for?
Always the last person on my list, usually on Christmas Eve day.
9) The easiest person to buy for?
Me. I can buy myself just about anything and I'm always happy to see it under the eggnogartificially homey-g tree!
10) The worst Christmas gift you ever received?
Toenail clippers--that my Johnny still to this day insists was a nice little practical gift we were given (not saying who). He says this with a loving smile on his face. As he clips clips clips clips clips clips.....
11) Mail or e-mail Christmas cards?
I can email Christmas cards?
12) Favorite Christmas movie?
National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation!
13) When do you start shopping for Christmas?
When John's bonus arrives...so this Friday. We'll be the couple getting stuck in the front door because we're pushing each other down to run out and spend the moolah first. Pshh, that's always so embarrassing!
14) Have you ever recycled a Christmas present?
I made a mosaic out of dyed toenail clippings--does this fit here?
15) Favorite things to eat at Christmas?
My Grandma Cleva's date bars. All of them. The whole dang batch! Now that she's gone, I make them myself, although not quite the same. But good enough. I bake them knowing I'm probably the only one that'll eat them. But enough eggnog goes around. And nobody notices.
16) Clear lights or colored on the tree?
Is this an eggnog pre-driving test or something?
17) Favorite Christmas song?
Mary Did You Know? sung by Shannon every Christmas Eve at our church service...it completes the evening. Last Christmas by the Beatles is a close second, it speaks to the drama queen in me.
18) Travel at Christmas or stay home?
Home, simply by default. I'll travel. Who wants to see us?
19) Can you name all Santa's reindeer?
Oh for sure--and Rudolph isn't up for debate, he IS part of the herd!
20) Angel on the tree top or a star?
Star. It was on sale.
21) Open the presents Christmas Eve or morning?
Christmas Eve! Because Santa leaves the good stuff Christmas morning.
22) Most annoying thing about this time of year?
Back to that stupid 'stuck in the door frame' scene.
23) What is the "corniest" family tradition you do or miss doing?
No lie, we go to Christmas Eve service at church then head to Applebees. I've been busted--at school, Alex wrote a paper about it last year, not knowing it was 'odd'. And our friends laughed us out of the school. And THATS why I homeschool now. (Pam, don't you feel guilty now?)
24) Ugliest Christmas decorations ever invented?
I'm with Sharon on the big plastic blowup things in the lawn--especially the Simpsons. What and why? If Homer were something to look at, I could get on board....
25) Which looks the best...theme trees or homey trees?
Ours is homelyhomey, but if you've got an eggnog tree, I'll be over in a sec.
26) What does Christmas mean to you?
In all seriousness, the profound meaning of Christmas has been profound to me only these past few years, even though I've known the meaning for many. Although I've considered myself a follower of Christ for several years, when I think about it, now, the profoundness of Christmas is stunning.

Christmas! The day our Father gifted His love to us us and His desire for us to spend eternity with Him.

That gift, delivered by Mary, was no less than His Son. Given to us in the form of a human; a human who interacted with the regular Joe's, the lowly and sick, the children, the tax collectors, the untouchables, the ugly, the beautiful and the rich. It didn't matter then, it doesn't matter now, He loves you, He loves me. I'd say we were a pretty difficult bunch of folks to shop for, but he sure did get it right! xo

I'm going to tag now...but I think most of you have already done this. The one I think I'm certain probably hasn't maybe done it yet would be....my new friend Maddy. Maddy, have you done this too? Am I the only one who hadn't? Anyone who hasn't done this, please don't wait for the tag, do it!! Let us all know about it too.

17 Comments:

Wen said...

this tag is really long eh....

Katie said...

You crack me up. If you're looking for somewhere to go, you're always welcome here, bring the whole gang!

Anonymous said...

An toenail clipper? That has got to be one of the worst gifts I've ever heard of!

I got an iron once. Not a flat iron or even a curling iron. It was a clothes iron! OMG!

But toenail clippers are still worse!

Kailani
An Island Life

Maddy said...

Huh! Well I try and get around to these memes at the weekend when my lesser half is around to pick up the slack. However, I am still in birthday mode [daughter] I haven't even started Christmas yet [eek!]

I will do my best.
Cheers


This is my calling card or link"Whittereronautism"until blogger comments get themselves sorted out.

Misty DawnS said...

Toenail clippers?
Last Christmas, my aunt got us an emergency light which will provide light for a month and a half. She also got us an emergency weather radio which you crank for power, and you can also crank it to charge your cell phone. I teased her by saying "I know we are moving to the middle of nowhere - but we DO have electric!" Now, here I sit in the middle of an ice storm, and I was awfully thankful for those lights yesterday while the power was out!

Girl Gone Wild - BibleStyle said...

You were on a roll with this post, Gidge!! I kinda got the idea that you were a bit of an eggnog freak by the 3 HUGE bottles of it in your fridge, but when John got the eggnog out to put on my boys' cereal, I about lost it!!

Jillie Bean (AKA Bubba's Sis) said...

LOVE your answers, Stacey-Girl! I hate those blow-up things in the yards, too. Our next-door neighbors have a giant polar bear and every morning he is flat as a fritter on the lawn. Personally, I prefer my light display, you know, the one I have a picture of on my blog! That's my house! OK, it's not really. But I wish it was.

Anonymous said...

Hi Sweetie,
I swear you get tagged more than anyone I know! I liked reading you nice, long tag it made me laugh as always.
It looks like you had a nice time with your friends, who I believe were really there, can tell by the sparkle in your eyes. Wish you had more alone girl time, but I know how hard that is.

Have fun Christmas shopping on Friday. Don't feel too bad about starting late, I'm not too far behing you, my dear sweet, funny friend.

Thank you for your very kind and caring comment on Grandma. I hope we can talk someday, girl talk. So much we share. So thankful and blessed I found your blog.

Sleep well, and have a good Thursday. No jogging!
XOXOX

D... said...

GREAT answers, Stacey! I prefer the homey trees too. As we put on our ornaments, we remember Christmas pasts when we were newly married, new parents, each phase of the kids' lives. I especially love the ornaments that the kids have made. Good times, great memories.

I absolutely do not think going to Applebee's for dinner on Christmas Eve is 'odd'. We tend to go out also. Who wants to mess up the kitchen before the Big Meal? Not me said the spider to the fly!

Queen of Arbitrary Randomness said...

You are so stinkin' adorable! Thanks for the laugh (mixed with a few snorts)!

Memarie Lane said...

Whenever I buy a gift for someone, I have a problem with deciding to keep it and getting a duplicate or something else for them. I may not have any gifts under the tree, but I make out like a bandit every Christmas. Ha!

Jim and Jami said...

Darlin` I love your blog, and if you are ever in Texas come on over, I'll have pastries & shrimp, just for you......keep up the great work sister-friend. The best part of this post is the story of Christ, I tried changing up the music on my blog, but I think Mary Did You Know wins hands down, so it is going back on.......have a great weekend.

Anonymous said...

Great answers, Stacey!!! Love them and agree with most - especially the blow up things! UGLY!

We actually found the Griswalds house the other night I think! I took a picture of it and will have to post it. That is my favorite Christmas movie too! Can't wait to watch it, just thinking about it makes me giggle.

Queen of Arbitrary Randomness said...

It's for Gi.

I'm not sure about the "Okay, here's the deal" but "Heyhoo" has crept into my vocab recently. I do say stinkin' and crap alot. So when you get us togehter it's:
Okay, crap, here's the stinkin' deal!

Dawn said...

I want eggnog! I want eggnog!

Btw - that's a gorgeous shot of Nikki over there in the sidebar :)

You can come visit us :)

and ummm

I'd have tagged you with this when I did it, but I haven't tagged anybody in aggggges. LOL

Dawwwwwwn, the shocking veggie queen

ConservaChick said...

This post is why I love your blog! IT'S HYSTERICAL! ~K

PinksandBluesGirls said...

Oh, Gidge, how I love you so! You're just too much. I can't stand those big blow-up things either. And when they're not "on" they are just slumped over on the people's front lawn!

I love your Applebee's tradition. Hey, tradition is a big part of the holidays, isn't it!?

Jane, Pinks & Blues