Nov 28, 2007

My Morning Walk Run Burn



The other day a friend told me if I really wanted to lose weight I'd need to alternate jogging with walking. It sounded about right to me...so I approached Kristy, my walking bud, with this. I worried, she's a couple of years older, she's far more girly than I and....well she's quiet. Quiet people don't run! She agreed, though, so this morning we began. Starting off with a walk, I turn to Kristy, my face exudes the compassion I have for her. Poor thing, she's not going to make it. And we were off...

We're jogging a good pace...it felt exhilarating, the wind in my face, arms (even the lame one) working it, we look good. Rounding corner one, heading for two, starting to breath harder, then really hard. Might be hurting by now, yes, the burn sets in.

I'm suffocating on my own breath. I'm NOT stopping first, I'm young and tough. Thoughts did race through my mind--is it possible to suffocate running? Can lungs spontaneously combust? If I had the energy, and if I stuck my foot in Kristy's path just enough...would she call foul? Why doesn't she stop! Are you KIDDING me? She's smiling, she's chattering away, I refuse to cry uncle, I answer her (two second intervals between words). This is ridiculous. I planned out that I would be the strong one!

We made it to the corner, I slowed my breath long enough to say, "ready to walk?" Far too much lilt in her "oh..yeah sure!". Walking on a slight incline, I worry I may die on the spot. Atop a neon orange phallic symbol on the curb, courtesy of neighborhood kids set loose with spray paint. They line the curbs and deck the community mailboxes in our neighborhood, some with happy faces, some have hats, even some phallic girls. All special and all unique. Thanks, kids, we done needed some class around here. But I don't want to die on one.

A very long 30 minutes later, a few more sprints followed by walks, and we parted ways after agreeing this was 'great', that we'll do it again in the morning. I round the corner for home (treated to a glimpse the neighbor rinsing his keg in his shorts--it's 30 degrees outside) and poured a cup coffee. And toyed with the brownie, but that's a lot of burn to get that off, I left it!

18 Comments:

Anonymous said...

Ohh dear, I feel exhausted just reading it [I think I am genetically allergic to exercise of any kind]

All sounds far too painful to me and the tea and brownie sounds like a much more attractive option.

Glad you have a partner to run with though, I would think that would help a lot in the motivation department. [which I obviously lack]
Cheers

Girl Gone Wild - BibleStyle said...

You're jogging now?!?! I thought we talked about this...I'm coming to your house fat. I don't want to be alone in this condition!

Maybe I should rename my blog, Girl Gone Blubber.

(BTW - do you have Trader Joe around there? I'm dying for some Winter Blend...)

Stacey said...

Maddie-you're my kind of girlfriend!


Yeah, Gi, because everybody knows it only takes three or four jog sessions to lose 20 pounds! Be worried--not!

Katie said...

I'm just glad you made it through the run without ending up in the ditch!

Anonymous said...

You are too funny!! I hope you are not too sore in the morning, starting off jogging that much is usually not a great idea. Last time I tried that, my knees hurt so much the next day, I could barely walk!! I am impressed thou, that you are keeping up with the walking. 30 minutes a day makes a big difference. I don't know why I can't get my butt on the treadmill, for just 30 mins. a day. I go in cycles. You are almost inspiring me to move.

By the way, your blog looks great!

So glad Gigi is coming to visit, sounds like you both are going to have so much fun. Love the count down, perfect!

Let me know when to send you the money for the shirts.

Enjoy the rest of your day!
XOXOX

Memarie Lane said...

Ugh I could never jog. Just send me whatever weight you'd like to get rid of.

D... said...

Hee, I totally felt like I was there with you. And, never fear, I would have had to cry 'uncle' waaaay before you. A runner I am not. I'm not much of a walker either. I opt for the tea (replace mine with Diet Coke, please) & brownie every time. ;)

D... said...

Oh! I meant to add that you need to post some pics of your phallic symbols!

Jim and Jami said...

Stacey, you are a hoot! I just love your outlook of life.....you grasp, and take on life face forward, and not face down, hehe. I look forward to reading your blog everyday.....have a great one...Jami

Misty DawnS said...

Oh Stacey, I'd be in the same condition as you Hon. Years ago, I could have done this - no problem. But now?? No way.

Anonymous said...

Run? I haven't run in years. You know, once I could run...really fast, too. Coach Lund approached me once on the track field during gym. Holding a cigarette in one hand (yes, teachers did that back then...remember the teachers' lounge!), he said, "You know, Kelly, if you stopped smoking you could be on my track team." I looked at him like he was a bafoon! Yes, I do believe high school was the last time I ran...gee, how many years has that been? :)

I bought a mini stair stepper and have it in front of my tv. I've been on it a few times. But, truly, I love to watch Biggest Loser (the only reality show I love), and eat something really bad for me rather than exercise. Hmm. What's wrong with that picture?--the same thing that's wrong with a picture of me--lazy, soft, tubby!

Anonymous said...

Don't you hate when YOU plan on being the strong one, and your workout buddy beats you to the punch? Grrr.

Good for you for resisting the brownie, though! Don't think I could've done it.

Jane, Pinks & Blues

Cathi said...

Gee, I wish I had the stamina you have to run in the morning! I just sent you an email...we are Kailani's ornament exchange partners. :)

Happy Elf Mom (Christine) said...

Your neighbour has a keg in his shorts?? And he's rinsing it in public? Where do you live LOL?? Really, I looked at that phrase and read it about six times before I realized he HAS a keg but he's WEARING shorts!

Mrs. C

Anonymous said...

I give you credit. There is no way anyone is getting me to go jogging! I get a headache just thinking about it. Give me a brownie instead any day!

Shana said...

More power to you and jogging. I hate running, no matter what shape you are in, when you are done running you are out of breath! Of course with the shape that I am in I couldn't run to the corner without being out of breath...lol!!!

Anonymous said...

sorry, I am still on the phallic symbols... not getting enough of those in my house....

and I'm not liking this new google/blogger change .. if you don't have a blogger blog, you don't get a link? That bites. SO I'll sign mine

Dawn @ this is my blog, and you can't stop me from displaying it, blogger bastarts.com :)

Sharon Sews said...

Oh Stacey, just when I was beginning to think we had so much in common you had to go and blow my fantasy by admitting that you JOG! Although if you jogged with me you'd feel really really good because I'd be done in about 15 seconds ... just long enough to jog past a house or two.