Oct 27, 2007

It Was Fall Chilly Yesterday......

So I grabbed my favorite hoodie and pulled it over my head. I don't wear this one often anymore, one or two times a year. But hands down it's my favorite! It's getting worn at the elbows; rather than just toss it, I wear it gently. I took a photo of the hoodie yesterday just in case something happens to it. Throwing it out isn't an option, I need to have this one forever. Why?

It facilitated the last laugh Jamee and I shared. In the hospital. It's a long story
that doesn't belong here, but I'll tell you this: When she thought about what she'd just said, she looked at me for a long moment. I stared back at her, not sure what to make of it. Then I saw her lips curl up until she was smiling the Poirier girl smile all three of us sisters were born with. And we laughed ourselves right back to the tears we were accustomed to by then. After that moment, there weren't many more times her true Jamee personality revealed itself.

When I put on my Eastern 99, I know I need to be extra nice that day. It might sound silly, but it makes perfect sense. Jamee has been gone five years. She was four years younger than I am now. But it doesn't matter, because she's by big sister and I fully expect her to take on that role again when we meet. And I don't ever want to get the Eastern 99 look again!

14 Comments:

Sharon Sews said...

I'd keep it forever too, or at least until the two of you reunite :-)

Anonymous said...

What a great memory of your sister. Yes, that sweatshirt need to be taken care of!

Misty DawnS said...

Don't ever give up that sweatshirt! I have tears in my eyes reading this post hon.

And, you're right - it's been darn right chilly! Sure wish I knew where my sweatshirts were... they're in the basement... somewhere.

Unknown said...

Stacey,
I'm on the St. Louis side of MO and it's getting downright cold here tonight. Last winter was our first since moving from CA. 60 was cold to me. I ran around in an undershirt, long sleeved t-shirt and a sweat shirt every day. I also wore 2 pairs of socks. I had to break out the undershirts today it was so cold. I was reading your blog awhile ago and saw your reading list. You must be doing Sonlight. We did core 3 and then found Winter Promise. It's literature based like Sonlight but with activities. I love it. I've gotten friends turned on to it and they love it too. Have a great week.
Blessings,
J

Unknown said...

I also cling to things my little sister had or gave me. She passed away when she was 13. I miss her so much. Hugs to you.

D... said...

You are sure right that throwing out that care-worn sweatshirt is not an option! It's nice to have a tangible memory to cling to on chilly days.

Trinity said...

hugs to you Stacey... what a memory you have with your Jamee.. feel miss her too! How lovely it would be when you reunited again with her someday!

Trinity from Rooms of
My Heart

Anonymous said...

You wear that hoodie any time you want to! Or need to. It's a special link to the past that you can wrap yourself in like a blanket of comfort. Go for it! :)

Girl Gone Wild - BibleStyle said...

Very cool that you still have that, Gidge.

So that 'smile' runs in the family huh? I thought it was just an awnry Gidget thing...You and Jamee must have been quite a pair.

Anonymous said...

Hang on to that hoodie, and hold it tight. It will keep you safe and warm, when you need it. Jamee is always with you, I am sure you feel her all the time. The hoodie is something tangible, something you can put your hands on and touch. The grieving process is so hard, 5 steps forward, 10 steps back. That is how I feel at times. I do know we were so blessed to have had our sisters for the time we did and I do know that your so right, we will be together again. Those 2 thoughts, and the memories bring me comfort. This is the 3 year anniver. for me. It is hard, but I appreciate your kindess, as always.
LOVE.

Misty DawnS said...

There is an award waiting for you at my blog - you truly deserve it!

Jillie Bean (AKA Bubba's Sis) said...

Keep that hoodie forever and ever, Girl. Wear it when you need to feel her close to you. What a blessing.

Anonymous said...

and you look so beautiful in it too.

I have to say that I am a bit jealous of your cold weather you are having. It's still getting up to 90 degrees here in AZ.

Your sister sounds like she was a wonderful person, Stacey and you have such wonderful memories of her. What a blessing that is.

Bridget

Anonymous said...

Hi Stacey,

These posts always make me sad and happy all at the same time. You need to put the sweatshirt in a shadow box or something, write the story of the moment you shared with Jamee and tuck it the box with the sweatshirt so it's safe forever and ever and there for your kids and her kids and the grandkids that will come someday.

Have you read the book Elsewhere? If you read and liked Lovely Bones, you'll like this one even more. It's from the point of view of a girl who was killed, and what happens to her in heaven. It's a great story. I thought of you the entire time I read it.