Feb 28, 2007

I'd hoped to show some photos of an apron I intended to sew up this morning--my schedule was wide open. And as things sometimes unfold, that changed with a phone call. My dear, dear friend was in the hospital. So I spent much of the day with her, enjoying her company and hopefully lifting her spirit just a bit.


My friend is in her 70's, so we're a very unlikely pair, she and I. We met because through our church she wanted me to join her in visiting elderly at a nursing home where many of the residents are overlooked and don't have family. That was nearly five years ago and we've been connected ever since! She will be okay, I think, when I left she was finally given the green light to drink Dr. Pepper, so I left a happy camper.


So what better time to introduce you to another amazing, dear friend of mine, John P. He's one of the residents of the home. I instantly bonded with him, thought he was adorable bent over his velvet-marker picture! I've been helping to keep him in velvet picture to color since, and even have a few of his pieces here at my desk. There's something so innocent, helpless and at the same time desperate about most of the folks in this home. I cannot resist their sweet faces, they're ending the chapters of their life and still manage to light up the room when a visitor comes around.



I know I'm rambling now and hopefully haven't lost you yet, because this is where it gets good. Every here and again I bring my friend, John, dinner. He likes cheeseburgers, fries and a vanilla shake. So I happily accomodate his appetite fast food, gives me reason to indulge myself. We dine in the activity room to give him a break from the large dining hall; my husband John joins us, too. In fact, John P. seems to enjoy him more than he does me--imagine that! :) Here is my buddy just after he finished his fries, smile on his face....I pray a lot for his health and I pray even more for many cheeseburger dinners to come!

4 Comments:

cherry said...

Wow that is sooo cool! I have always been drawn to older people myself! They are very special. cherry

cherry said...

Wow that is sooo cool! I have always been drawn to older people myself! They are very special. cherry

cherry said...

Wow that is sooo cool! I have always been drawn to older people myself! They are very special. cherry

Cat said...

Stacey! this is something else we have in common, Our love for older people. I have always had a soft spot for them. LOVE LOVE LOVE what you are doing.