Aug 26, 2008

Flat Stacey in the Dominican Republic

My friend, Nova, offered to me a fantastic opportunity to head out with her on missions and go to The Dominican Republic. I really chewed on this one, I wanted to go so badly....but, sigh, I also knew it wasn't reasonable given the last minute everything that needed to be done. Not to mention the cost. So I declined this year, but I'm holding out that I can go with her on her next trip.

Nova and I grew up in the same town, went to the same school..okay there was only one and knew each other well simply because everyone knew everyone in Savannah. We had lost touch until about two years ago. I had moved south from our town to the city, she moved north to an even smaller town. Actually, more like an iddy biddy dot, I don't even think it has paved roads! Okay that was an exaggeration, but still, you'll need a 4x4 to get around.

Before our 20th reunion, she reminded me of something I have no recollection of....but remembering how I was, I knew I had to own it. I am sure I said it, I was a bit of an acting-out-middle-child-with-no-common-sense. She said one day in band class, our director asked us to define a flat for him. I'm sure he was talking to me, I really sucked (I played the trumpet). Apparently I wasted no time in hollering out "I think of Nova when I think of flat!".

Now HOW does one process this and make it right? No way. I apologized all over myself, and while Nova graciously said it was okay, that she laughs about it now, I'm still sick about it. The Stacey writing this would never say such a thing.

So how does this tie into the Dominican Republic trip, you ask? Nova can never say I'm flat...unless, of course, I'm in the DR with her. She made up a Flat Stacey and that girl has dozens of photos of Flat Stacey, all over the place. I laughed so hard I cried. Here are a few of my faves:


Some of the youngsters (Nova's daughter on the right) trying very hard to be as cool as Flat Stacey is.
Flat Stacey at Christopher Columbus' tomb (how awesome is that!)
Flat Stacey helping this young artist paint a mural.
Flat Stacey has arrived at the orphanage and found a Tab!
And my very favorite, my beautiful friend, Nova, with her new friend. I'm the short one in the middle.

Thanks for taking me along, Nova, you seriously made my week!

15 Comments:

Angela Williams Duea said...

That is so incredibly awesome. I love your flat Stacey and she is just as over the top as you are!!

Angela Williams Duea said...

That is so incredibly awesome. I love your flat Stacey and she is just as over the top as you are!!

Anonymous said...

LOL I love everyone doing "The Stacey."

My church has a mission in Honduras with a church and English immersion school. I would LOVE to go down there for a year or so. I guess I'll have to wait awhile though, like a decade!

D... said...

Oh my golly! How awesome is that? Very clever & sweet. My favorite was the very 1st one with all the girls.

I hope you are feeling much better!

Photo Nut said...

Ok Stacey - I had to learn to leave comments here after this post. So here I go. Seeing what you have written made me laugh and about made me cry. Have we not come so far in our lives? From high school "claiming to be a Christian" to now . . . living to as a Christian. I really had my heart set on you going to the DR, but taking you as "Flat Stacey" was the next best thing. Only, while there, I would see so many opportunites and situations that you personally would have blessed many others with your knowledge and talents. I had so many plans on how I was going to bless others with my works, but in return, I was the one being blessed. You have a wonderful gift from God and I would be honored to "mission" with you anytime . . . anywhere.
Love you and God Bless,
Nova

Jim and Jami said...

Love Flat Stacey.....You are a hoot PS.....New pics at the Circus.....

Anonymous said...

Stacey,
This was a wonderful post! So inspirational. I have heard of Flat Stanley, my neice send him to be, but never Flat Stacey. What an adventure Flat Stacey had. What a blessing Nova is!

XXXXXXX

Jillie Bean (AKA Bubba's Sis) said...

Oh, Stacey - this is so incredibly awesome! If you can't be there in person with your beautiful friend, then this is the next best thing! What a blessing you have in Nova.

Stacey said...

Oh Nova..ahem, I mean Photo Nut, I know, we would have both been blessed 10000 times over. And I consider myself blessed by your friendship all the time, you have no idea. Ruth feels the same, you know, she's tickled you've been praying for her. You quietly go about your life doing and giving, thinking nobody really notices. But I do, you can't fool me! xoxoxo

Happy Elf Mom (Christine) said...

LOL looks like you are enjoying your vacation there, flat Stacey!

Mom Knows Everything said...

Flat Stacey ROCKS!

Sharon Sews said...

Oh the places you get to go! Lucky you. How awesome that Nova loves you so much that she found a way to share the DR trip with you! xo, sharon

Anonymous said...

That is so great! I once had Flat Stanley visit me but he's nothing compared to you!

Edwards Family said...

Stacey- Nova has me reading your blog now too! :) ((NOVA if you read this, the flat Stacey totally cracks me up!! You are such a great friend!!))

and, I am not sure I could handle the togas.....:~)

Jenny Edwards

Photo Nut said...

I'm a little disappointed that you didn't add the pictures of Flat Stacey on the back of the horse, or under Tiffany's armpit.