May 1, 2008

On Friendship, Weight and Muffin Tops


I promised you some flashbacks from the MO Baptist Convention I recently went to regarding Miracle Word, so here ya go! Debbie drove along with me, and I'm so glad she did. We had a great time getting to know each other a little better. I'm really not sure what we would have done without her, just Ethan and I. She helped to make our booth presentable and ran the PowerPoint. I guess Ethan and I hadn't thought about who would do that!

I had a wonderful 24 hours, visiting with other booth-owners at the convention, visiting with other convention-goers, hanging out with Debbie and Ethan, the whole thing!

We arrived Friday night and I shot this fine photo of Ethan's 'Yes! Got it!' look. We were going over the program that evening, but mostly just enjoying each other's company. I love that Ethan doesn't take himself too seriously and that he's so laid back. It's very endearing, not gonna lie.


Here I am just a few minutes before our presentation. I took a moment in the ladies room to show you my official convention nametag. I was extremely nervous and thought I'd show you what fear in my eyes looks like (in the ladies room--don't tell me you don't have any ladies room shots!) The presentation was fun...very small group, which worked for me. Public speaking in a group under a dozen...is that really public speaking? More like hanging out with new friends and chatting--LOVED it.

The best part of the whole day was worship. The messge was incredible, the energy was just right, AND Ethan got to lead the worship songs. I have to tell you, I've seen Ethan in front of our church hundreds of times...and I don't remember ever being as proud of him as I was that day. He was AMAZING--he bridged the gap between the younger jeans-t-shirt wearing crowd and the older suit and tie crowd. Not always a given that it can be done...but he did and he did it WELL!

And that takes me to my latest journey into the world of Weight Watchers. I saw a photo my friend, Debbie, took at me sitting down, ugh! I decided that yeah, it's time. So I called up my friend Pam and convinced her she needed to go with me, she could point and laugh when I got off the scale. She jumped at that, we went. I have to say, I'm pleasantly pleased that I'm 20 pounds less fatty than I thought I was. I'm a fatty, just 20 pounds less fatty. So, sigh, I will continue to gaze at my closet filled with clothes that don't fit anymore. Okay I can get 'em on, but the muffin top staring back at me in the mirror makes me very hungry. They'll fit again soon. I'm keeping my clothes.

I began gaining weight after I had a complete hysterectomy AND quit smoking, and know I have the metabolism of a turtle. It's not fair, but it is what it is, friends. I'm going to have to put brakes on the gain. So I'll be counting points and drinking water for the rest of the Summer.

And I know some of my friends don't worry about their weight, and I don't hate them. I'm very happy for them...until they mention they were born thin., that's a problem. Then, not so happy. And if you're like me, don't you want to go back to third grade and say 'Oh yeah? Well I can lose weight...whatcha gonna do about that face of yours?'. Is that wrong? Okay, it is. I won't say it. But thinking in my head, heck yes! I'm a mean fatty. It's how I am.


Posted by Picasa

16 Comments:

Memarie Lane said...

Whenever someone mentions muffin tops I think "Ooooh! Muffins!"

Angela Williams Duea said...

Wow, that conference sounded wonderful! Way to go on public speaking!!

I swore I was starting WW again...what, in January? I haven't counted a single point since, like, January 4. Thanks for the kick in the pants (The only pair that fits me).

Jenny86753oh9 said...

"...the muffin top staring back at me in the mirror makes me very hungry." That is probably the funniest thing I have EVER heard you say!!!

Mom Knows Everything said...

Twenty pounds...woohooooo...you go girl!!! I need to lose about 40 pounds....ughhh! :o(

D... said...

Sounds like a very successful convention. I'm proud of you!!

Oh, the dreaded muffin top. Yep, I have it too. I hate it.

Libzsonshine said...

So I'm reading your blog and all of the sudden, I have a "Oh my GOODNESS, it's a small world!" moment.

So your friend Ethan...well, he and my brother, (Andy Kleeman) go way back...in fact they were best of friends in Jr High and High School. For the life of me, I've brain farted his last name. But his dad, Doug was my vet...and his family (mom Shari and sister Katie) was a second family for my brother and I after my mother died.

Would you PLEASE, please tell Ethan that Libby Kleeman (now Jordan) said hello. You can give him my contact info as well. Tell him I live in St. Joe, MO.

Golly Molly...it's a small world after all!!

I'll be up all night trying to figure out his last name!

P.S. You're right...he's a fabulously talented guy!

Gayle @ thewestiecrew said...

I embrace my muffin top!
And kudos for being able to speak to more than 3 people at a time. I would have been USING that bathroom if it were me..LOL!

Jillie Bean (AKA Bubba's Sis) said...

As your skinny friend, I'm going to forgive you for any mean thoughts you may have about me. I love you anyway. So there.

jennyonthespot said...

got nuthin', too busy laughin'.......

Cat said...

Oh Stacey....muffin tops, hysterectomies, weight gain (massive in this case) - welcome to my world!!!!

Cate

Happy Elf Mom (Christine) said...

Oh, and here I am on the same treadmill with you. Except, OBVIOUSLY, I don't have a hysterectomy. ;]

You're not any relation to GARY Crossley and the Ford folks areya? Because I need to chat with you seriously about the quality job your "service" department does. It's as bad as the local Perkins. Sorry.

Queen of Arbitrary Randomness said...

THANK YOU! I thought I had issues with overeating, but now I know it is because the muffin tops are making me hungry.

Happy Elf Mom (Christine) said...

HEY!! Are you ok? I didn't realize there was storm damage until I tried to get in touch with some teachers at my son's school. Duh.

Wendy said...

First off, the convention sounded awesome! Thanks for sharing about it!

Now, about the weight thing. I'm a bit of a mean fatty, too. I'm with you on not begrudging skinny people their ability to be skinny. It's when they start talking about how they need to lose weight that makes me want to jackslap them silly. I knew a girl that weighed MAYBE 100 pounds and always talked about how fat she was. Excuse me?!? I'm ITALIAN! I'm genetically cursed to be fat. Honestly, have you ever seen any Italian women stay skinny after children? It can't be done. So, as long as you're not Italian, at least you've got hope. ;)

Trinity said...

You are wonderful, and now you loose 20 pounds?!! Incredible! I wanna loose some weight too!!! Waaa... me fatty as well.. *sobs*

Anonymous said...

Muffin tops!!! Gosh that's funny. I mean maybe it's not, but that is a funny phrase for the deal right there that women prolly hate. Hey, it's not that bad!!!!