Apr 2, 2008

What's a Boo Worth?

Just when I had my evening planned out, didn't take on any work yesterday so I could finish a PowerPoint layout, and was feeling good about my timeline, poof!

Last night I hung out at the animal emergency room with Cody's cat, Boo. He'd been pretty lethargic for a few days and last night Cody brought him down to tell me he was worried. So I took him! They prodded him a little, took his temp, weight and I think they gave him an eye exam.

The atmosphere was extremely sober. The tech handed me a paper breaking down how much it would cost to get a good grip on his condition. $686. I steal a glance at Alex, who is so worried and petting Boo as he laid on the exam table. "Ummm.....oh! I see....well..." Shoot! I hate this part! This is the vet to whom I held out this cat with teary eyes, urging him, voice breaking up, to help this precious darling who isn't just a pet but has a place setting at our table and has his own recliner! And now I must somehow say "Oh... okay, huh! Well, how much would a cat aspirin cost? I mean, look! He's looking better already!" I avoid looking at the ball of black with the skin on his neck still standing up from the dehydration check (severely dehydrated), crouching in an attempt to ease the obvious pain in his abdomen.

Sigh. "Okay, well, what would it take for you to get him through the night? I'll take him to our vet in the morning" I'm calculating costs, I'm going to need to return the new hair straightener I bought earlier along with the cool brushed metal shower curtain rod for the boys' bathroom. Maybe Alex's socks, I'm not sure yet. I did have a coupon for the socks, maybe I'll hold onto them. The tech tells me she'll need to go back, talk to the vet and work up another estimate. She exits the door to that secret place nobody ever gets more than a fleeting glimpse of as the vet comes and goes. I'm starting to feel as if a car deal is going down and she's running my offer by 'the boss'. They took him back, gave him hydration and some pain shots (they say, or at least that's what the $44 shot administration fee said on the paper...who knows if he had them. Boo didn't mention it last night on the drive home). We left the office less $202.

This morning I took him to our vet. He's there now, an x-ray revealed his kidney is inflamed and blood tests are in order. Of course they are! I left him there to be pumped with fluids and to await the course of treatment. I didn't ask. What good would it do me today anyway? Alright, better log off. I need to go round up some things to sell on Craig's List now, call the grocery store and see if they'll take the Oreos back if only a few were eaten. If you're looking for a nice little philanthropy cause, I know this black cat...............

14 Comments:

Gayle @ thewestiecrew said...

Aww man, Stacey...:(
I hate like crazy to have to decide those kinds of things. We are pretty big animal lovers around here, too. Praying that your decision will be pretty black and white...

Angela Williams Duea said...

Awww, so sorry you're going through this. I've been there before, and it's so painful and scary.

Your cat has it's own place at the table? Hmmm...my cats THINK they do, but they're wrong.

Anonymous said...

Don't you think they should offer pet insurance? I know some companies do but it should be a standard. Hope Boo is feeling better soon!

Jim and Jami said...

I feel for you, Stacey girl.....Jake my youngest had a parakeet, Blue, who had become sick, on a Sunday, and we took him to the EmergaVet, or Vet-In-A-Box.....anyway, we put him in an oxygen box, and the out come was not a good one, Blue didn't make it, I think the tune of that one was $281.00.....but it was worth it Blue was a special part of our family.....

PS - Looking forward to seeing those sugar pictures from that other site here at JameeForever!

Jim and Jami said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Happy Elf Mom (Christine) said...

I don't know; at this point our cat is 15 and I wouldn't do anything EXTENSIVE to prolong things that can't be prolonged much longer. But that's how I'd be with MYSELF when I'm 85 or so. I mean, if I'm in pain all the time, is there a point keeping me alive longer so I can be in more pain!

Hope you guys are doing ok. (Next time you visit the vet, maybe better leave the kids home?)

Misty DawnS said...

Awwwww poor Boo, and poor YOU! I'll keep you (and your checkbook) in my thoughts. I can't believe how much it costs to have an animal treated! It's unreal!

Jillie Bean (AKA Bubba's Sis) said...

Oh, Stacey, I SO know what you're going thru - we were going thru it with our doggie not so long ago! Whatever you do will be the right thing - even sacrificing the Oreos. I love ya, Babe - praying for you always. And Boo.

Kim said...

Bummer. I was just there. Still hard to talk about. In fact I didn't even blog about it as it hurts way to much. A few weeks ago we had to put my dear sweet Abby down. She was dying in my arms that night.

Anyway...hang in there!

D... said...

Oh, Stacey, I am so sorry. Love you and Praying for your family and Boo. I know it's hard. :( Please know that there is no wrong decision. Whatever you decide will be the best decision. 100%.

Shana said...

OMGoodness! Funny how those fur babies can mean so much to us. I hope that Boo is feeling better.

Anonymous said...

This is awful, this is like a member of your family! Gosh, with all your family has been through this year, this is the last thing you all need right now. I think you should start a little paypal thing to help Boo. I really do, I would love to help you and your family. You would do the same for one of us. Thinks about it, I am serious.
Keep us posted, please.
Sending prayers and love your way.
XOXOXO

Jenny86753oh9 said...

I wondered how that worked out...poor Boo...poor you! I hear ya, man...I STILL haven't gotten GiGi fixed cause I just don't have the yenom (money spelled backwards...it's what I call it...doesn't sound so harsh that way...it's a denial thing)

Cathi said...

Oh Stacey, I of course know the outcome of this post but I still have to say...I so enjoy your writings. You always make me smile and laugh!
Many years ago our shepherd was hit by a car. Actually, run over. His vet bills totaled $1,300. This was in 1991! But after you've agreed to pay $250 and then another $250, gee, that's $500. When they want another $500 for surgery and then...well, you get the picture.