Mar 4, 2008

It All Catches Up With Me Eventually......

Today was a milestone for my son, Cody. He got through that lifeguard interview awhile back, passed his certification this weekend and will go pick up his suits after school tomorrow. And drop off the information his employer needs to do the direct deposit to his new checking account.

New account meant today we had to drive across town (by our old neighborhood) and empty out the old account he kept his soccer reffing earnings in. It was just a savings account, so today my boy advanced to a student checking/debit account at a bank near our home. So today..... there was no hiding it any longer, I had to come clean. If there was a way around it, I'd have taken it--if I thought he wouldn't have noticed, I wouldn't have mentioned it. But it's Cody. Cody doesn't forget things. Certainly not how much money he had in his account. So today before we headed out on our banking adventure, I made my pitch:

"Hey Code?"

"Huh?"

"Yay for you, bud! Wow. You're a lifeguard! Wow. Wow...that's very cool. Hey...how much was that certification class Dad paid for last weekend? $130 or something?"

"Yeah"

"Ohhhhhh...."

"Why?"

"Well don't worry about it, no need to pay this back."
"Ma-ah-mmmm...WHAT did you do?"

So I finally got the money monkey off my back and attempted to convince him his end was better anyway. I only blatantly stole borrowed $100 last year in the Great Checking Account Error, covered only because I have one child who doesn't take after us. He actually keeps his money. In the bank! Pshh...from under what rock did this boy crawl?


Between you and me, while he feigned disappointment, I know he expects it. Come on, it's me after all! He's probably already thinking about a separate "help support my mother who will one day be sorry she ran, didn't walk, to spend her check the second it arrived in the mail" account. Sure, he'll lecture, he'll make like he thinks I can do better, but he'll have little faith in my money-saving abilities.

15 Comments:

Cathi said...

Too funny!
When my kids were little, my oldest son would borrow money from my youngest son however he would charge outrageous fees, like, B would borrow $10- from T and T would make him pay him back $20-
B would get soooo mad but now, 26 year old T has money in the bank and 30 year old B well....he's not T.

Jenny86753oh9 said...

Awww...Cody is growing up. Now he'll have to put a special password on his account to keep his mother out of it! Where's he lifeguarding?

Hey good news...the laminate is done, the furniture is properly replaced, and even though I'm not officially working from home YET...I work from home anyway! So I'm done being away...I missed you!!!

Unknown said...

Congrats on Cody getting the Lifeguard cert. :)
BTW, we have a winner for the March Mom Blog of the Month Contest on Hip Mama's Place. Pls congratulate the winner at www.hipmamasplace.com when you get a chance. Thanks and have a great day! :)

Jillie Bean (AKA Bubba's Sis) said...

No worries, Stacey Girl - all parents "borrow" money from their kids every now and then. If we're good, we'll never get caught! ;-)

Love the song!

Angela Williams Duea said...

Ack! Coming clean to your children is the worst feeling ever.

D... said...

Aw, Stacey, I'm not alone!!!! My kids' "piggy banks" are filled with IOUs Love ya, Mama!

Huge Congrats to Cody!!!!!

Sharon Sews said...

Congrats to Cody! on the lifeguard thing...actually on the ability to stash money away too. At least when you made a great checking account error you only had two zeros after the one...when I did my great checking account error I had three zeros after that one. And no kid to bail me out either :-)!

Anonymous said...

Being a lifeguard is so cool! All the girls will be after him!

Anonymous said...

Ok, have you ever seen Fraggle ROck? Cuz I have this song playing in my head now from Fraggle Rock that goes 'I'm a BIG BOY NOW' LOL

Happy Elf Mom (Christine) said...

Congrats CODY!! Yay!

Anonymous said...

It's a family thing, at least around here. In the end it all equals out somehow. Congratulations to Cody, that is really great!! He will love being a lifeguard. What a fun summer he is going to have!! Love the pics.

XOXOX

P.S. Left you something at my blog today

Misty DawnS said...

Wow - you have raised such a terrific son! That's what matters (just keep reminding HIM of that).

Anonymous said...

Man oh man...what a story.
I'm sure he wasn't too mad.

It's supposed to get down to 5 tonight...brrrr!

Cheers.

ConservaChick said...

Spending money is one of my "gifts". I too have a frugal child... and husband for that matter. They always ruin my fun. ~K

Shana said...

LOL!!! But congrats to Cody on his new job!

Sorry I have MIA for awhile, you know me always busy. :o)

I have been party hopping and I came across this...

http://fromcribstocarkeys.blogspot.com/

...and thought of you! :o)