Jan 2, 2008

Niki and The Big Family!

Yesterday was good! We had a banquet at church and Niki came. We had spoken to her on the phone the night previous and she agreed to come--and asked if she could bring her boyfriend. Heck yeah you can! At this point, if Niki said she preferred to wear her bathing suit to church over her long johns but only if I let her borrow my Hawaiian Girls Rocket Dog shoes, let me tell ya, I'm going to say yes! And all y'all know that's just not right. I don't share my Rocket Dogs. (You didn't think I'd have issues with the swimsuit and long johns did you?)


So...during service (a good one it was), I looked ahead. In the seat in front of me, my 16 year old son, Cody. In front of him, I could see the back of our 10 year old son, Alex's head, standing next to his big sister. And for years and years this has been a familiar sight. But tonight, I take it in and I know in my heart that the dynamics of our family have been changed forever. Even if she comes home. It won't be the same. Maybe that's good, idk. Far too soon, but I know there's a purpose for this. And I have learned the little things do.not.matter. The love I have for each of my children is all there is in the end, and I need them more than I probably should. I put aside the little things now and I see the bigger picture.
So....prayers are working. I think she enjoyed herself--and I'm incredibly grateful for that church. Niki went from one unquestioning and loving arm to the next tonight. Nobody admonished her, nobody questioned her, nobody held her at arms length. No. They (from the little children through all the adults who love her) opened their arms, declared "NIKI!!" and gave her a big bear hug, kisses on her head, and "I love you's". That was it. I don't think I ever loved my church family more than I did tonight.

My friend Jamie emailed me that she hoped Niki left church feeling loved. She did. I don't even need to ask her, I just know. And I pray along with everyone else that she comes back again and again, because she belongs there. It's her family too, and God gave her a good one in Cornerstone.

Okay okay, I'm done with the weepy stuff. I have cat pictures! It's Niki's cat, GiGi. She's learned (Boo taught her) she can jump higher than she thought she could. She's found the 'nook' in the kitchen Boo enjoys napping in. If he's there and I notice him as I turn to leave the room, it never fails to startle me! He's spooky looking, all black Halloween-ish. GiGi....she's just too dang cuddly wuddly buddly to scare anyone.

19 Comments:

Happy Elf Mom (Christine) said...

WOW.

Happy New Year!!!

Shana said...

Praise God for this first step!!! (((HUGS)))

Happy New Year, Stacey!

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful way to begin the new year! God has a plan, even if it is hard to undertand and painful now. She felt the love, so much love. That does more than words ever could.

Love the pictures.

Happy New Year, my friend!!
XOXO

Queen of Arbitrary Randomness said...

Praise God! Isn't it funny how God allows us to gain a new appreciation for things that used to seem so ordinary?! I'm so thrilled for you, John and the boys to have Niki at church with you. But most of all I'm trilled for Niki. Despite all of the things swimming in her head right now, her heart obviously knows there is something to the way she was raised. You are right when you say things will never be the way they were. God is changing your heart and hers! Remember that kid's song "He's still workin' on me"? I think everyone of all ages should sing it at least once a day!
I could go on, but I won't here 'cause others might want some room.

P.S. Gigi and the fam came over for New Year's Eve. Old Man kept calling me Stacey. I was quite tickled and flattered.

Memarie Lane said...

If any church I'd ever been to had behaved that way to me maybe I'd still be going.

D... said...

Praise God! This brought tears to my eyes. I am so happy that you & your family had last night. And, more importantly, that Niki had last night. What an amazing start to 2008!

D... said...

I got so exicted about your wonderful church that I forgot to say how much I want to cuddly Gigi! Cleo hasn't figured out that she can do that too. However, she gets into enough mischief with the places she knows she can jump on.

Girl Gone Wild - BibleStyle said...

Yeah!!!! Oh Stacey, I'm so glad she agreed to go. I'm sure you were a complete mush pot!

That GiGi is awfully cute...kinda like her name sake??

Angela Williams Duea said...

Yay! I'm so happy Niki felt welcomed. I sure wish my 17-yo would come to church with me. Just once. I'll keep praying...

Katie said...

What a great way to start off the year!

Jillie Bean (AKA Bubba's Sis) said...

Praises!!! I'm so happy for you, Stacey-Girl! It's the first step in what may be a long journey back, but we all know that it has to start with that step. I'm still praying for ya'll and especially for Niki, that she would be open to hear God speaking to her heart.

Love you, Girl. Happy New Year, indeed.

Anonymous said...

Wonderful, wonderful news! I'm so glad you got to see your daughter during the holidays. Your church is awesome! :)

Anonymous said...

What a great way to make someone feel loved. Your church family did such a wonderful thing!

PinksandBluesGirls said...

I wanted to wish you and your family a very HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
xoxo,
AUdrey

Dawn said...

Oh stacey, how awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Baby Steps! :) But I'm so glad to read this :) *HUGS*

Anonymous said...

Fantastic. I'm so happy. Nikki looks good--beautiful as always!

Kelly

Misty DawnS said...

Oh Stacey - I love you Hon! You and your family are in my prayers every day! I wish you the very best - you so deserve it.

Jim and Jami said...

Wonderful news of Niki, I'm still Praying....Hope your New Year continues to be a wonderful one!

Jim and Jami said...

P.S Love the new blog, I am working on a new look for mine as well, check back in a few days to see if it was a hit...