Jan 13, 2008

Learning Economics Next to the Hotdog & Popcorn Stand

Friday, I think it's widely known by previous posts that Alex and I were in little jars....so I thought it might be kinda fun to clarify what that means :)


We have something here called Blue Springs School of Economics, and even the homescool groups can participate. Mostly public, so I was pleasantly surprised to learn we could participate! We arrive, each child is assigned a shop with two shop parents. Ours was sand art jars and bookmarks. We advertise our store with the poster (that's what we did earlier in the week) and when we arrive Friday, we frantically make the jars and bookmarks and open the shop for the consumers.

There's more to it, something about learning economics, loans, supply and demand, blah blah blah....but the most important things were that sand art jars were very fun, we got a store next to my friend Susan and her son, who happened to be selling food (yay me) and Alex enjoyed himself.
We're off!
Production begins!
Time to sell the goods!The gathering meeting afterwards...not gonna lie, some homeschoolers are just well, odd little oddities. Cute, but....can't place my finger on it.....(not my Alex, though, nope, he's cool like that)

Just when I go and say that ^^! Where does he get this posing stuff from?


13 Comments:

Jim and Jami said...

He is sooo cute, you should be proud! :)

Jenny86753oh9 said...

So what does the label Hurdy Gurdy man mean????

Katie said...

Hmmmm, yeah where does he get that posing bit from?

Happy Elf Mom (Christine) said...

Cute photos!

Misty DawnS said...

I just love that kid! He is SO your son - no disputing that!

Jillie Bean (AKA Bubba's Sis) said...

That is so cool! My son did something similar in a G/T course (G/T = Gifted & Talented), except he had to create his own product, design it, market it, create business cards and do a business presentation, all leading up to a Market Day when all the G/T kids sold their wares. He earned real money, and good lessons about business!

Anonymous said...

Alex is too cute! You just gotta love him! (And.....he is my nephew....how cool is that?!?!)

Anonymous said...

Alex is so cute, and that pose, gotta be a family trait. Too cute!!
It looked like a fun day, my girls, still love sand in bottles. I don't think they will ever outgrow it.
XOXO

Anonymous said...

I've always wanted to make those colored sand thingys. They seem easy and I love the way they turn out - so colorful!

Great job!

Memarie Lane said...

Is that why people always assume I'm weird when I mention I'm homeschooling? ;)

Actually TBH with the exception of those I've seen online, other homeschoolers I have met DO tend to be pretty loopy. I wonder if they think I'm loopy?

Shana said...

This sound like a really fun time and a great learning experience! I always loved making sand art at VBS when I was a kid. Fun times...

I have something for you over at my blog and a fun tag too. :o)

D... said...

Hee! The apple doesn't fall far from the tree. Love the pictures!

Lamb's 6th grade class did something similar. It was a market and they had wares to sell & could also go shopping. She made angel necklaces out of office supply clamps. They had a lot of fun with it!

Unknown said...

I agree, a cutie!!