Nov 14, 2007

Lying On The Road This Morning, I Was Thinking....

I've been walking in the morning with my neighbor, who also is a member of our church, and also a dear friend of mine. We talk a lot of home school talk (she home schooled her daughter for two years) and some women's ministry talk (she's the head of the women's group).

Kristy and I shake it up, we try not to do the same route more than one week. And we're lucky, we have a neighborhood with many streets and hills, and even close to a park with a walking trail. Today we headed to the park, made the circle and were heading home. Going along at a good little clip, conversation animated and good, we came to the end of the park. To get across the street to the next neighborhood, we'd have to go down a small ditch, back up and onto the road.

I'm not saying I did, not saying I didn't, but I coulda been so distracted that upon taking that last step onto the road, I tripped. And fell. On my left elbow and my right wrist. And landing flat &$% out on the road, with my legs sprawled down into the ditch, covered in dead leaves. That may not have happened, but if it did, I could imagine Kristy exclaiming "oh my gosh Stacey! Are you okay?!" And I, likely to be in instant pain, would crawl the rest of the way out of the ditch, onto my knees in the street for a sec (please no cars!), pop back up onto my feet and immediately scan the road, the park, the neighborhood in front of me and ask "did anyone see that?!".
She would have said nobody saw, but just looking at the above illustration, I'm not sure. And I worry my right elbow might be jammed. Or worse, fractured. I can move it, I can type, and clearly I can still draw elementary shapes (art wasn't my gift). Isn't that just the way? I do not have time for this. And if that did happen, why do adults hate the fall? Or even just a simple trip on a sidewalk? Are we too vulnerable then? Do we feel incompetent? Stupid comes to mind, but why? I'm not sure. I do know when I see someone fall or trip, I think Ohhhh, glad that wasn't me. Kids don't do that, kids feel the pain and want everyone to know it! Then they find mom or dad, crying and explaining it all in vivid detail, every last move. Certain mom or dad will know what to do to make this better.

Our children and family minister has a falling story. Involving a parent/child ball game, running in a skirt and falling diving face down into third. It really did look intentional. To her, poor thing, there wasn't a chance nobody saw that. Being as there was no point, she accepted help with grace and laughs about it now.

I wonder if there's a correlation here--we adults fall, we don't anyone to know, how embarrassing! That's a truth for some of our lives, we don't want anyone to know when we fail big. Hope nobody 'sees' it. It sometimes defines us. And when we fall big in front of others and there's no chance of hiding. That's when we do our fall with grace, I think. Might as well accept the hands that come to lift us up. Maybe life would be easier if we accept the hands of our neighbors, our friends, the very people God put into our lives. They have fallen too, they will again. If we fall, that is, not saying I did.

*HBDD

15 Comments:

Misty DawnS said...

Beautiful Stacey. If you did fall, which I'm not saying that you did... but if you did, I'd help pick you back up, if I were there... and, right now, I'd be asking if you are OK (if, in fact, you ever did fall).

I admit I'm petrified of failing, errr, I mean falling. Not afraid of the physical falls at all (I'm used to that pain) - it's those emotional falls that scare the heck out of me right now!

Oh gosh, sorry I typed such a long comment, I didn't even realize I was doing it.

Anonymous said...

Well, IF that did happen, I hope you're okay! Love the little drawing!

IF it happened to me, I would be more concerned about my pride than my injuries.

Memarie Lane said...

I have a very difficult time accepting the help. It's something I really need to work on.

I see our skills in the art department are something else we have in common.

Stacey said...

Mist, same here, my friend. And it truly is that emotional fear that holds us back from taking chances, I know.

Thanks, Kailani--I'm okay but my arms is probably going to have to go to the ER tomorrow, idk.

Marie--I'm right there with ya, it's hard to accept help. We've been taught to be strong, but never how to ask for help. So you're a fantastic artist too?

Girl Gone Wild - BibleStyle said...

Dang, Grace! How do you do it?! Start a blog talking about your "might have happened" fall and ending it with a life lesson. Now who needs to write a book??

D... said...

Wow, girl, look at you waxing all philosophical. Great post, btw. Life probably would be a lot easier if that rascal Pride didn't always get in the way.

If you did indeed fall, not saying you did, but, as a friend, I would have to ask if you are ok. That is *if* you fell.

Anonymous said...

wow, wonderful wisdom here. The way I've been feeling lately, I think I might have just taken a nap in that ditch :)

I'd be right there helping you up, Stacey and I know I could count on you to carry me home...right? You have a strong back, right?

Stacey said...

For you, Bridget, I'd most definitely carry you home. There's about nothing I wouldn't do for my friends in need, my friend. And it's even sweeter knowing I have a friend in you as well, I know you'd be there.

You know, I didn't THINK about napping in the ditch--darnNIT!

Jillie Bean (AKA Bubba's Sis) said...

Bless your heart, Stacey. IF you were to fall, I hope you would get your hypothetical hurt arm checked out. Here's a big ol' Texas hug from me: {{{{Stacey}}}}

One time D and I were looking at a model home and I fell down the stairs. I was way embarrassed. I don't think she even laughed at me. And when I have those spiritual/emotional falls? She doesn't laugh at me then, either. She's the best.

Anonymous said...

IF you were to fall, I'd have to say, "Oh my gosh, are you ok?" And I would want to help you any way I could. I love your sentence about the helping hands.

When I didn't fall,it was when I was school principal, at a boy's basketball game, on the gym floor in front of millions of kids and parents, when I was trying to get the attention of the ref about to walk out the door. My body might have turned, my Niked feet not so much. I might have gone down sideways with no way to help myself. I could have landed on my side and broken a couple of ribs. BUT, I might have jumped up (with the aid of those helping hands) and proclaimed loudly that I was fine. No problem. I am WOMAN hear me roar--invincible to the core!

Love your artwork! The roadkill was a nice touch. :)

Stacey said...

Cheryl, is it okay if I laughed? I mean spit out my coffee on the keyboard kind of laughter? Sorry, dear Cheryl friend, that's hilarious! Do I tell you enough that I treasure your stories? I do! xo

Anonymous said...

That's pretty good if I can make you laugh! Hee hee.

Shana said...

OMGoodness Stacey, I some how missed this post. I am so sorry to here about your fall. Josh fell down the steps about two weeks ago carring the baby and he hurt his tail bone and elbow pretty bad. His "butt" isn't as bad now, but his elbow is still hurting.

And one reason adults hate to fall is it hurts us worse then kids.

Jillie Bean (AKA Bubba's Sis) said...

That's because the ground is a lot farther away when you're all grown up! ;-)

Unknown said...

Oh wow, Stacey. That was amazing. What a great writer you are. And how true is what you said. That really hit me. In a good assuring way. Thank you.