Oct 23, 2007

We Have A Third Son I Haven't Talked About Yet.....


Okay okay I think you can look at his photo and note we don't look much alike. And our boy lives in Kenya. So we don't even share a home with him. Heck, he's not even blood related! And you probably guessed it, we sponsor our boy through Compassion International. He's going to be 18 in December, so look for that birthday wish (although he doesn't have internet access, I'll let him know I posted for him). Last year, we picked Gervasio out of the photo lineup on the site because he was nearing the age of no longer being eligible for Compassion sponsorship, which he will now receive until he is 21.

Like always, I tore into my latest letter from Gervasio, received today. I was humbled as I usually am. He had received our gift a few months back of a mere extra $25 for his family and $10 for himself. He shares with us that he purchased a bed, black beans, something I can't read, and 'some sweets to share with my friends.' I'm guessing the $25 was the price for the bed, but I'm not sure. But just how rich this beautiful beautiful boy must have felt as he purchased what is an everyday pleasure to us--sweets. And shared with his friends!! Who wouldn't be so proud of Gervasio? It shows how a very small amount will make a big difference. As well as the Spirit of Christ--he was being Christ to his friends when he shared something so rare and special.


But between the lines, and corrections, I came to a part that saddened me deeply. Towards the bottom, he wrote that since the last holiday (this is dated in August, so I'm guessing summer break?) he has been unable to 'continue with school'. I knew he had been sick but he last wrote he was better. It appears the sickness had invaded his body again and interrupted his life. Although he says he is better, I worry this reprieve might be temporary. And I worry he is off track with his education now. He has hopes and dreams like most teenagers. He wants to go to medical school and be a doctor. I would guess any child who has seen so much sickness and death would want to be part of the solution.


I'm hoping all my friends who read this will honor Gervasio and lift him up in prayer for complete healing and for direction. If you read the letter, you will get a glimpse of Gervasio's amazing personality, his love for the Lord, and his concern for others. I don't find that terribly often anymore, and I think Gervasio is special. Incidentally, if you find yourself over at Compassion's site, beware, you're going to want to sponsor. The faces will capture your heart before you can hit the back button...I am only warning you.


We also have a second daughter, Catherine--but that's another post. She's a sweetheart of 11 living her life in Nicaragua. Always making things with paper and mailing them to us--I'll scan one soon.....

17 Comments:

Misty DawnS said...

Oh Stacey - he's wonderful! YOU'RE wonderful! What a fantastic gift you have given him, not just monetary, but your love as well. I will definitely keep him in my prayers each and every night.

Oh, and if you want to laugh... Inspired by Gigi, I posted my most embarrassing moment. Gigi is still rolling on the floor and laughing hysterically as far as I know. Hey, anything to make y'all smile :-) even if it is at my own expense.

Girl Gone Wild - BibleStyle said...

Good grief...my emotions are all over the map! I go to MD's blog and pee all over myself, then come here and snot all over myself!!! This is SO throwing my thyroid off!

Anonymous said...

It's really amazing how different (and how much richer) Americans are than the rest of the world. When I went to China and adopted our daughter, I was amazed at how different things really were--even the poorest American is richer than an average person in China.

That is so awesome you are sponsoring someone--maybe someday you will be able to meet him!

BTW--saw your post about me on Girls Gone Wild, Biblestyle :) You're too funny.

Anonymous said...

Hi Stacey,
Speaking of awards, HERE is another one for you :)

Bridget

Memarie Lane said...

When I was 16 I adopted a girl in Columbia. I lost touch a long time ago, but I'll never forget her beautiful name. Gabriella Alejandra Galvez Maldonado!

D... said...

Consider prayers spoken. The gift you are giving to these children is priceless. Another example of what a beautiful person you are. I can't wait to hear about Catherine.

Anonymous said...

He's very handsome! I'm sorry he is ill. Thanks for sharing his touching story with us. I'll pray for him.

We used to sponsor the schooling for several children in Africa.

Jillie Bean (AKA Bubba's Sis) said...

Prayers going up here! We used to sponsor a girl in Nicaragua - in fact, her name was Catherine! Maybe you got her when we went thru a tough financial time and couldn't afford to sponsor her anymore...wouldn't that be weird?

I have felt bad about that ever since. Like I let her down. I'd love to think that you got her and are taking care of her for me!

Happy Elf Mom (Christine) said...

Hi Stacey!! I'm glad you stopped by my blog to say hello. We live nearby IRL (I'm Northland area and if you look at my pics long enough you'll figure out where LOL!)

Gervasio seems like such a sweet guy - I'm so glad you got to sponsor him before his time was up!

Mrs. C

Anonymous said...

you really are amazing. And how special is it that he writes and shares with you, including you in his life - that really is awesome. I hope he's better already and will be able to be part of the solution.

Jillie Bean (AKA Bubba's Sis) said...

Well, Hubby has reminded me that our girl's name was Edna. That's pretty close to Catherine - you could see how I could confuse the two. We'll just assume her name is Edna Catherine and she's your girl now. Works out nicely in my mind!

Cat said...

GF! you have been holding out on me! why did I not know about your adopted kids? GAH! This touches my heart so much! You and John truly are wonderful people! No wonder I love you guys so much!

Keeping Gervasio in my thoughts and prayers!

Love you girl.
My computer was wacked out for a bit, and my wordpress password and stuff gone, so can't login to post! but as soon as Heather fixes it I will be back to blogging! Please let everyone know. Grrr it is frustrating!

Stacey said...

We love you too Cat. I'm calling you in a sec. Pick it up! xoxo

Shana said...

Stacey, you ARE amazing! Such a kind heart you have. Just one more reason to add to my list of why I am so glad to have stumbled upon your blog and to have "met" you! :o) (((HUGS)))

And you better bet I will be praying for Gervasio.

Trinity said...

Stacey, this is wonderful! You are one of compassion's sponsor, how great! I used to translate letters of compassion's children in Indonesia into English, so that their's sponsors can understand what did the children write for them. I also translated sponsor's letters to Indonesian and it was more fun as the sponsor used to send some pictures, stickers and something for their 'adopted' children.

Stacey you are such a blessing!

Trinity from Rooms of My Heart

Trinity said...

Oh I forgot something, I pray that Gervasio can be healed soon so he can study well to achieved this dream! God has worked in his life through your family, Stacey, and I am glad to be part of it in prayers...

Trinity from Rooms of My Heart

Katja said...

That is so wonderful what you are doing. You just keep amazing me every day! Hope he will get better soon and is able to continue school!