Sep 22, 2007

I'm Turning Thrify On You

My daughter, Niki, is dating a guy from one of the other three Lee's Summit schools, but not that third one because she's not allowed to even glance at another guy from that school now! This new boyy had a date to his school's homecoming lined up pre-Niki. They were good friends, and as most guys do, he missed the signal from her that she liked him a bit more. So you can imagine this girl was angry and hurt when he told her about his girlfriend. She decided a few days ago she didn't want to go with him anymore, leaving him without a date.

My daughter's homecoming is next weekend. I told her I wasn't up for buying another dress--I still have one in my closet with tags on it ($150.00-choke!) that she didn't wear because the guy broke up with her the night before. That weekend--we don't talk about it! She tried it on, it didn't fit anymore (imagine!).

I had a 50% off coupon for out favorite consignment shop, so today we went on a hunt, hoping to find something affordable she'd like. Oh gosh did we EVER hit paydirt!--this dress cost (she'll kill me for announcing it) $20.00 before my coupon, so $10.00. The beautiful silver satin strappy shoes with bling were on sale for $6.00. With tax, the whole outfit was under an Andrew Jackson (that's $20 so if you didn't know, not saying you didn't, then tell your hubby you learn stuff blogging)!

She called her b/f and told him to get ready they were going to his homecoming too. Even without an up-do, she was going. He perked up for a minute, then realized that no, they couldn't go because she wasn't signed up at that school to go (you have to go through the process). We just happen to live across the street from the principal of that school and she looks out the window and he just happens to be working in his yard. Ten seconds later, she had permission and called him back. John and I are not connections people, but tonight, we looked at each other all smug-like. We finally had a connection we could use!

She ran up to get a broken nail re-done, they both came back here and dined on take-out Chinese on my new Halloween paper plates (sorry about the eyes, guys). We lit a candle to make it more....rediculous! Off they went to meet up with the group (they'd already made dinner reservations without them, so they met at the dance). And now, I just pray she has fun. She definitely deserves fun this year.







The back of the dress is so pretty--$10.00, I tell you!


That's our princess, her finger all stuck up her nose for me and stuff. She does us real proud.

16 Comments:

Crazed Nitwit said...

You did a great job pruning the expensive costs of Homecoming. Good job my friend. My baby (BBBO asked his first girl yo Homecoming tonight. It's on October 12. I'll take pictures then. Now we have to shop for tux rental, shoes, corsage............I'm really excited and happy because he is excited and happy and he wanted to share it with me. He asked her tonight by writing in orange chalk on the road in her neighborhood. He wrote in huge letters HOMECOMING? Because her favorite color is orange we also picked out peach roses. It was really a special moment and he insited I be there to watch. (I was in my cat not standing next to BBB.

Anonymous said...

Doesn't everything just "taste" so much sweeter when you get a good deal! She looks beautiful and very very cute dress!!!!

I got your message about lunch. . .thanks for standing us up. :) jk

That is totally fine! We just got home late last night from our anniversary weekend and another time would be better for us too. See ya tomorrow! Yes, it is 2:45 am.. . what the heck!

Lala said...

Hi Stacey!!! Our Thrift shops around here aren't that great... BOOHOO... but lucky you to find such great deals! And how nice that they were able to go on such short notice!!! :o) Hope they had a great time!!!

Lala :o)

Jillie Bean (AKA Bubba's Sis) said...

You are a Shopping Champion, my friend! I bow down to you. I ocassionally need formals to wear to events for Hubby's work, but I daren't wear the same dress twice (THE HORROR!) so I'm always on the lookout for great deals like that. And they're fun to wear around when I'm pretending I'm Miss America.

D... said...

Oh, please tell me she had a wonderful time at the dance! She looked lovely as always. :)

You impress me with your shopping prowess! That was quite a deal and a great outfit to boot!

Katie said...

Way to go thrifty mama!! That dress is a beauty, and so is the girl in it!

Misty DawnS said...

LOVE LOVE LOVE the dress! She is so beautiful! I don't know what troubles she has had, but I truly hate hearing that she's had a rough time - because she seems so fun and wonderful!

Girl Gone Wild - BibleStyle said...

Is it...
Thrifty Thacey?
Frugal Facey?
Conservative Cacey?

Naahhh....

It's Super-Saver Stacy!! (ok, I'm done...for now)

DANG! That boy is some eye-candy!

"Niki, Niki, you're so fine, you're so fine you blow my mind, Yo Niki!!!" (I know...she's probably heard that so much she wants to puke...!)

Hope she has a great time and hope angry (girl)friend doesn't cause drama at the dance.

Cat said...

HOLY COW! that dress was $10? Girl! we need to go shopping together there! lol

Wow they look so cute! He is a cutie! I pray this one is a good guy!

Nothing wrong with having a connection! LOL

sorry I missed church today, I was home alone without a vehicle!

Jeff took boys camping, Greg met up with them after the Dance. And my truck is in the shop!

Sharon Sews said...

She kinda looks like Barbie - all blond and gorgeous and adorable. Gotta tell you though my favorite is the last photo - I can really see how you've influenced your daughter there Stacey, LOL! BTW I love thrift store shopping - I buy lots of stuff there - when you come to visit me I say the heck with Mall of America and that big ole' roller coster - we'll hit the thrift stores and consignment shops :-)

Anonymous said...

What a deal you got! That dress and your daughter is gorgeous! Hope they had a great time!

Anonymous said...

Wow! What a great find! Did they have a fantabulistic kinda time?

Anonymous said...

wow, I am SO impressed!! What a beautiful bargain!! She is BEAUTIFUL!! And what a pretty color!! You should have followed her to Homecoming so you could get some more pictures :)

You must be so proud!

Katja said...

That was some pretty good buying and networking right there, good for you, and Niki! She is gorgeous!

Can't wait to see your window-pic. Your neighbourhood looks really nice from these pics too. Yeah, the mountains here are sure pretty, but remember... no mailbox and no trash pick-up service, and we need to watch for the bears and coyotes on the mornings when we leave the house with kids...

Ethan said...

Great pics! Your blogs crack me up...

FAQ said...

The look awsome and happy. It was meant to be for that homecoming. The dress, FABULOUS DAHLING! She looks like a movie star I tell ya!