Aug 18, 2007

Happy 16th Birthday To Cody! (and his cat Boo)

He's my 32 hours story...a real-life 32 hour, giant head suctioned out, umbilical cord wrapped around neck story. He was the baby I was seven months pregnant with when one afternoon watching Oprah, saw patients of my OB who delivered Niki and would be delivering him. They were telling Oprah about how he was being investigated for hypnotizing and molesting his patients. Mmmhmm, that's right. Murphy was my friend even back then! Because we had already paid him and had no maternity insurance, I had to keep seeing him (he was like 80 years old too, ewww!). But John didn't miss a single appointment from that point on! :) He was his Papa Poirier's first grandson. Dad couldn't GET to the hospital fast enough to see for himself. A man who had three girls and one granddaughter, he resigned himself to girls girls girls and more girls. More than that, as the years went by, his Papa Poirier grew to really like him. My dad was a great influence on Cody and saw the amazing child in him that John and I saw. There was a unique connection between the two of them. When at ten years old he lost Dad, he took it quite hard. We struggled when Niki and Cody were young; we did without 'stuff' so I could be home with them. Cody took this in stride, and never complained that he didn't have nearly as much as his cousins or friends had. He always accepted no if I didn't have quarters for the gumball machine at the front of the store, saying 'that's okay, maybe another time' (kid you not!). He really did wear the 'jean' shorts I sewed for him out of faux jean fabric. I think that's why now, while he doesn't want to have a lot of clothes, he picks his clothes carefully and won't buy something he 'might' wear. I think he'd probably like a pair of faux denim shorts for his birthday, don't you?
Now things are different, yet we truly wouldn't trade those formative years for anything in the world. I didn't think I'd say that back then, but I am. And I mean it. It helped Cody develop an appreciation for what he has and empathy for others who don't have. Cody takes his dedication to God seriously and I sometimes find I learn from him, not the other way around!So rather than list all the accomplishments Cody has made with his grades, sports, whatever, I'm just gonna tell you he loves God. He respects people. His Papa Poirier would be unbelievably proud of this boy's life so far. John and I are humbled by his character. We won't take credit for him, he's definitely a product of God's amazing work. So we thank Him for the gift of raising Cody--how lucky we are!



Cody dancing with his sister! (Kathleen! pshh!)

14 Comments:

Donna. W said...

Happy birthday to Cody! He sounds like a great kid.

Girl Gone Wild - BibleStyle said...

Cody, Cody, Cody...you are one awesome guy! I hope you have a great birthday today! (And tell your mushy mom to get some great pics to show us!)

Misty DawnS said...

Happy Happy birthday to Cody! What a handsome guy - you're gonna have to beat the girls off with a stick! You told a very beautiful story, and your love and admiration for your son truly shows.

Katie said...

I love the look on Cody's face when he's dancing with the girl! He looks lik a kid caught with his hand in the cookie jar - that's priceless!

Stacey said...

^Aww Kathleen, that's no cookie, that's his big sister Niki! The look is feigning enjoyment at dancing at his cousin's reception. They're doing their version of the tango here, didn't work!

D... said...

Sniff!! I hope he (& YOU) have a wonderful birthday. :) You wrote a beautiful tribute to him. He sounds like an amazing young man. Maybe, in a couple of years, we could introduce him to my daughter. ;)

Sharon Sews said...

Happy birthday to Cody! What a wonderful post for his birthday. I can top your labor hours with my son's birth. Not that I'm competing or anything, LOL, but I had three days of labor with that kid. But at least the umbilical cord was wrapped around his neck.
Cody sounds like a great kid - and pretty darn handsome too!

Cat said...

Happy birthday Cody!!!!

Gidge, I think Cody is an awesome young man, he truly has a kind spirit! Hope he has a GREAT DAY!!!

Anonymous said...

He sounds like a really cool kid, Stacey. Great job to you all! Happy Birthday, Cody!

Crazed Nitwit said...

Happy Birthday Cody. Stace~kiss your car goodbye!


You've won an award Stacey please visit my blog.

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday Cody! What a special young man. You definitely raised him right!

Jillie Bean (AKA Bubba's Sis) said...

Happy Birthday to your Cody! They just grow up too fast, don't they? God has blessed you with a wonderful son!

Katja said...

Happy Birthday!!! Those pics are just great!

Anonymous said...

What an amazing young man! You have done well with your children, Stacey (and John, too!!)... Bravo!

That picture of Cody standing with the ball in his hands is so cute... and he looks so much like John there!

Thanks for sharing!

Jane, P&B Girls