Aug 20, 2007

Driving, Teaching, Diving, Eating

What a long day! Took Cody up to get his driver's license today--he passed. Hooray! No more trips to Longview for diving practice (unless of course I need the car and just wanna watch him, which I do often!) Poor guy was so darned nervous he was shaking (I remember well!). If anything, the tester said he needed to relax and speed it up. Hehe, probably the last time I'll tell him that!

The pictures go in order--he's leaving to get his haircut this afternoon, first time driving all alone, getting in the car. Then backs out into the driveway and the phone rings. Hangs up, continues on out into the street. And turns onto the main street and he. is. out. of. my. sight. *sigh* I hate that part.




Wanna see what that looked like 22 months ago when Niki got hers? It's sooo different, not even CLOSE to the same pictures here!...................................





Well okay, same. But the trees were changing colors on the second set, that's something!

One end of town is the testing facility, the wayyy other is where you get the actual license made. Did that loop and got home for lunch. Sent Cody off to my niece for a haircut (school, you know) and got Alex started on his first day of homeschool. I think he had fun, I know I did. I also think I need to tweak it a bit. 4 1/2 hours of mostly direct instruction was a little more than I expected. We'll see how it goes the rest of the week and then we'll fine tune that curriculum--because I CAN! We didn't get to start in the morning because of Cody's stuff, but usually we'll start at 9 and be done by 12:30. Then I type until 2 or 3 and have the entire evening to do what I need to do, diving meets, groceries, eat two plain Pringles with hamburger dills in between (that's an invaluable tip there), whatever!

In my well-thought-out fantasy life, this is the plan. I know things come up. But I also know I need to keep them at arms length because Alex's education is our priority. Also because John teaches so late most nights, I'm the only parent home for. If I mess with the morning then I mess with school. If I mess with school, then I mess with typing. If I mess with typing, then I mess with the evening. If I mess with the evening, well......y'all will get another rendition of I Would Die 4 U. Who knows, maybe a little Mony Mony too? Or how about Run, Joey Run? So you see how it's in all ya'lls best interest if I just stick to the plan.

And...with that said, I'm off to plan a healthy dinner for my kids. Oh hey. Wait. Niki's with friends, Cody's at practice....it's just me and Alex. Pasta with Prego for him....Whey smoothie for me. And type. And while I type, I remember that life is precious, and the mom next door who died last week in that crash gave me fine example of living life joyfully. She definitely did that, and I have no doubt that attitude was what her family will remember forevermore. Alright, best get things done before you tune in tomorrow to see me posting the motions to YMCA. Or Devo's Whip It! (Still hanging onto Major Tom tonight--until the landing is complete!)

16 Comments:

Crazed Nitwit said...

Your neighbor died? What? I missed something. Holy cow. I'm sorry.

Good for Cody! Frees ya up a little.

HUGS!

FAQ said...

YOu just hang in there and you can do it on the home schooling. About the driving...10 o'clock and 2'o clock! Heehee

D... said...

Congrats to Cody! I can't imagine the feeling of watching your child drive out of sight. Eek.

Congrats on your 1st day of homeschooling. I know you'll get the scheduling/curriculum down to what's best for ya'll.

Cat said...

You know girl, I still don't ever hear your songs. what is up with that?

Thanks for listening to me, I know I talked your ears off. UGH.

Love ya!

XOXO

Anonymous said...

Again, better pucker up. I’m sitting here at school, just finished grading tests and I thought I’ll check my email. Found Stacey’s email to my family (I know I should write it myself, but hey she’s the writer in the family) and noticed the link to her blog – click. I’m amazed by my wife. She is like an atomically charged Energizer Bunny. How she does what she does and still has time to sleep I’ll never know. I know she gets her strength from God – who provides all we ever need. I love you Tate – you are the best and I appreciate all you do day in and day out.

Signed,

Amazed By You.

Stacey said...

Great! Now nobody will be my friend now because they'll think I'm 'all that'. No, they'll think I think I'm all that. No, they'll think you're all that!

Way to go, Professor. See you tonight for a lesson? *wink*

Anonymous said...

Stacey,

I'm jealous. Can I borrow your professor? I promise to return him unscathed! :)

Love you guys. I'm a nervous wreck thinking of your kids driving, though. Good grief. This is one hurdle I've not jumped, you know. Kind a glad, too.

Anonymous said...

OK, John has got to be the sweetest husband around! Love you two!

Back to the actual post (ever notice you get hung up on the comments sometimes!?)... congrats to Cody!! What an exciting time for him. I was very nervous for my test too.

And it sounds like your homeschooling is off to a great start with Alex! Looking forward to hearing more about it! He couldn't have gotten a cooler teacher!

Oh and guess what - we all know you ARE "all that!"

Jane, P&B Girls

Anonymous said...

Congratulations to Cody! He must be thrilled!

BTW, sorry to hear about your neighbor. Sure puts things into perspective, huh?

D... said...

Oops, forgot the link to my summer story. I fixed it and you can read it now.

And, you are very welcome, my friend. :)

Girl Gone Wild - BibleStyle said...

You ARE like an energizer bunny! Mom, Car-key-hander-over, teacher, typer, cook, and "lesson" taker! Sounds like all that to me!!

Gidget, you're a great person! I'm lucky to have found a friend in you...

(Ok...enough with the mush...I'm about to gag myself.)

Anonymous said...

Congrats Cody! Drive carefully so mom doesn't have a stroke.

Hey, I live the same fantasy life as you and I can so do YMCA with ya. :)

Unknown said...

I was just thinking this morning that in less than a year my girl will be 14. Then in one more year from there, she will be 15. Then, in another year she will be 16 and will get her license. Yikes! Amazing how time flies.

Congrats to Cody!

Oh, and I, for one, want to see the YMCA motions. Not that I want you to have to stay up all hours of the night. Maybe you could do them sometime during the day.

Jillie Bean (AKA Bubba's Sis) said...

You rock! So does the professor. Love ya'll!

Anonymous said...

I was hoping to see an "after" picture of Cody. I'm sure he had a great haircut from your niece! It would be great advertisement for her and maybe she would give you a "cut" of any customer you might bring her way as a result of seeing Cody's haircut on your blog!

Anonymous said...

Congrats to your son and to you too for not doing more than sighing once he was out of your sight. My kids are still a ways from getting their licenses, but I have a feeling I'm going to be one of those overly worried moms when the time comes...

Lovely song choice, btw.