May 10, 2007

OJ, It's Not Too Late For You!

As I read the article below, my first thoughts were "Yes!!". I'm firmly planted in the notion that wrong trumps right and evil foils good when nobody stands up and says anything; thus in my opinion, it is the one who does nothing who is a key warrior on the side of evil. I believe Jeff Ruby did the right thing, he stood firm in his conviction. Oh, I'm so not up for addressing the race card issue brought up by Simpson's lawyers, maybe another day. I was struck with some thoughts after reading how calmly Mr. Simpson left the restaurant. I can't help wondering what would happen if one day he is approached a different way.

I don't know if OJ is saved, only he knows what's in his heart. I am convinced of his guilt, I watched that trial with great interest along with the rest of America at the time. Standing in front of the television, my heart sank when the verdict came in. I'm struggling not to judge his salvation because I believe you are compelled to live as much like Jesus as is humanly possible. It's hard, I haven't yet met anyone who can match His perfection; I count myself a LOTTA work in progress.

OJ, it seems, isn't ready to accept this reality. When he begins to show humility, finishes the mandated restitution to his victims' families, I'll be among the first to fire up the grill, throw on a KC Strip and serve it to him happily.

And Mr. Simpson, I'm sure you're among the throngs of people who read my blog fervently each day, devouring every bit of wisdom I conjure up (see contemplation photo to right), so know this--it isn't too late....as long as the sun is shining, as long as the stars are in the sky, and as long as you draw a breath, you have time. I think that's kind of comforting, don't you?

Fox News
Steakhouse Owner Refuses to Serve O.J. Simpson
Wednesday, May 09, 2007

E-MAIL STORY PRINTER FRIENDLY VERSION
LOUISVILLE, Ky. — The owner of an upscale steakhouse in Louisville said he asked O.J. Simpson to leave his restaurant the night before the Kentucky Derby because he is sickened by the attention Simpson still attracts.

"I didn't want to serve him because of my convictions of what he's done to those families," Jeff Ruby said in a telephone interview Tuesday. "The way he continues to torture the lives of those families ... with his behavior, attitude and conduct."

Simpson, an NFL Hall of Famer and Heisman Trophy winner, was found innocent in 1995 of killing his ex-wife, Nicole Brown Simpson, and Ron Goldman but was found liable in a civil trial that followed.

Ruby — who owns restaurants in Cincinnati, Louisville and Belterra, Ind. — said Simpson, who was in town for the Derby on Saturday, came in with a group of about 12 Friday night and was seated at a table in the back. A customer came up to Ruby and was "giddy" about seeing Simpson, Ruby said.

"I didn't want that experience in my restaurant," Ruby said, later adding that seeing Simpson get so much attention "makes me sick to my stomach."

He said he went to Simpson's table and said, "I'm not serving you." Ruby said when Simpson didn't respond, he repeated himself and left the room.

Ruby said Simpson soon came up to him and said he understood and would gather the rest of his party to leave.

Simpson's attorney, Yale Galanter, said the incident was about race, and he intended to pursue the matter and possibly go after the restaurant's liquor license.

"He screwed with the wrong guy, he really did," Galanter said by telephone Tuesday night.

Ruby said the incident had to do with Simpson's past.

"It was the first time since 1994 he has ever shown any class," Ruby said. "He showed it that night in the restaurant" by leaving quietly.

Ruby said after Simpson left, people in the restaurant started applauding him. He said he has received about 100 positive e-mails since the incident.

The walls of Ruby's restaurants are decorated with celebrity photos. A photo of Simpson and Ruby used to be on display, but Ruby said he took it down after the killings.

3 Comments:

Katie said...

I read this story about OJ too. It's hear about people that have the conviction to actually stand up for their beliefs. So many of us would have held our tounges and seethed. Jeff Ruby did it the right way!

Thanks for coming over to visit me blog. Way to go on the homeschooling next year. It's been a lot of fun for us :-)

PS I love your new fabric from a couple of posts down!

Katie said...

Stop by any time, I'm enjoying getting to know you!
I'm afraid to say the Billy on the roof is my son. I know - Bad Mommy!

Girl Gone Wild - BibleStyle said...

Amen, Sista Gidget, Amen!!!! Get 'em girly!