Nov 20, 2008

I'm So Dang BANGO!

I've been at church a lot this week--prayer room, Women's Group and a few new ministry meetings I'm PC-ing (process coordinator). Sounds more official than it is. Tonight is the last one for the week--and it's the ministry nearest and dearest to my heart: Elderly Ministries. I don't expect many to show up--John said he'd drop in and I'll pick up Sheila and Velma (the two ladies who go to the nursing home with me). But that's okay, we need to get our yearly plan in order anyway.

I've been back in the swing of visiting again--I didn't know how I'd ever do it after my friend John died. But I did and it feels right. AND Cody and I had dinner with another friend, Luther--cheeseburgers, vanilla shake and fries. Just like John always requested. That was hard.

I don't know if I told you this before, so here it is. For the LONGEST time I'd come down the halls and Luther would be at the end screaming out "Boy Oh BOYYYYY! BANGO BANGO BANGO!!". And I loved it--because naturally bango would be elderly slang for beautiful lady.


So I'd walk towards Luther with a little bit lighter step and maybe I'd toss my hair a little as I went. The nurses might think I'm crazy but who cares? They're jealous and Luther thinks I'm BANGO! I'd get to Luther, take his hands in mine and say something like "That's right, Luther, I'm here! You flatter me, really, you..you...."

It was several months later that I figured out BANGO meant Luther wanted me to fill in again calling BINGO (I used to do that from time to time when Pat was the activities director)! And not because he thinks I'm lovely, no. Because I have quarters for prizes. And if he wins a few rounds, he'll get a soda for the day.

Mmmmhmm...it's okay. I can take it. I still choose to pretend as I'm skipping down that hall towards Luther to the tune of BANGO BANGO BANGO Oh boy OHHHHHHHHH BOY!!!! what he's really saying is 'beautiful lady' when in reality, it just means quarter lady.

If you don't already, try visiting at your local nursing home, I'm telling you they will bless your socks off or your money back!

10 Comments:

Happy Elf Mom (Christine) said...

Ohhh... That's so wonderful!! My dh's granny lives in a "nursing home" and I'll tell ya, they can use the visitors and certainly the prayers!

Yay! And seeing Cody getting in on visiting with you is just heart-warming. Love it.

D... said...

Bango, Bingo, no matter, it still means Beautiful Lady. One who is beautiful on the inside and out. I'm glad you are back at the nursing home and that Cody goes with you. Gorgeous souls, ya'll have!

For Student Council, my son is going to sing Christmas Carols at a nursing home. He is looking forward to it! Such a caring heart he has.

Jillie Bean (AKA Bubba's Sis) said...

Sweetie, you are the bango-est girl I know, with your huge heart full of love and compassion! You are a dear - those elderly folks are blessed to have you in their lives! Cody, too!

Donna. W said...

This gave me a smile to start my day! Bango indeed.

Anonymous said...

I am so glad to hear that you are back out at the Nursing home! What a wonderful ministry to their hearts and YOURS! :o)

jennyonthespot said...

That is so precious... lovely lady, quarter lady... no matter - you make a difference! So! Precious!!!

Unknown said...

That is so hilarious! Aaron and I are still laughing. Love you.

Sharon Sews said...

You ARE Bango - beautiful lady inside and out :-)

Jenny86753oh9 said...

Oh my gosh...I am laughing SO hard! Stacey = Bango, baby!!!! I'm so glad you found a new love, John was a better person having you love on him. Now Luther is the lucky guy.

Anonymous said...

Stacey! You crack me up. At least I do tell you that you are very "hot" on a regular basis. No mincing words for me...no, no! Maybe next time I'll tell you that you are "hat". hmmm.